Year of Call:
Dan Clarke practises in personal injury. He has a particular specialism in cases with an international element (including claims raising conflicts of law and jurisdictional issues) and has experience of acting in claims in other jurisdictions including in the Privy Council and in Jersey.
Dan undertakes clinical negligence work for claimants and defendants and receives regular instructions from NHS Trusts. His practice includes industrial disease (including mesothelioma and asbestosis), historic sex abuse, RTAs, and employers’ liability.
He is experienced in costs issues and is an accredited mediator.
- Chapter on Remedies in the APIL Guide to Accidents Abroad (Jordans, 2013 – new edition forthcoming)
- Case note on RE v Calderdale & Huddersfield NHSFT (Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management, Jan 2018)
- Reform of the Gateways for Service Out (LexisNexis, Apr 2017)
- Joining a Foreign Tortfeasor to an Odenbreit Claim (Jordans, Jul 2015)
- The Limitations of Odenbreit (Jordans, Jun 2015)
- The Brussels I Regulation Recast (Jordans, Nov 2014)
- QOCS and Third Party Claims (Jordans, Aug 2014)
Acted for victim of child sex abuse in 1970s against estate of perpetrator (settled for £300,000).
Acted for woman left with permanent foot pain following RTA (settled for £550,000).
Employer’s liability claim arising from fall down stairs (settled for £600,000).
Acted for victim of child sex abuse in 1970s and 1980s (settled at mediation for £100,000).
Acted for Trust in claim by psychiatrist against employer for head injury caused by assault by patient with iron bar.
Appointments & Memberships
- Accredited Mediator (CEDR)
- Judicial Assistant, Court of Appeal (2008)
- Tutor (Criminal Law), UCL (2004 – 2005)
- Research Assistant, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford (2003 and 2004)
- Research Assistant, Law Commission (2002 – 2003)
- Prince of Wales Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
- CS en Droit Français, Université de Panthéon-Assas (Paris II)
- LLB 1st (Law with French Law), University College London
- BCL, University of Oxford
Daniel Clarke is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
“An experienced practitioner in travel claims with an especially good manner with minors. His knowledge of French is also a bonus.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2018
“His advice is very precise, he’s good on his feet and he’s very down-to-earth.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2018
“He gets into the detail and takes a quiet, considered approach.” Travel, Legal 500 2017
“Particularly noted for cases with an international element.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2017
“He gives difficult advice very openly and honestly, and is capable of spotting tricky issues.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“Daniel is an experienced practitioner in travel claims and has an especially good manner with minors.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“Daniel is always just an e-mail away and you can have a sensible discussion around the case.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“His strengths are his eye for detail, coupled with a calm, relaxed approach.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2016
“Very personable and good with clients.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2015