Year of Call:
Daniel Clarke practises in personal injury. He has a particular specialism in cases with an international element. These include claims arising from accidents abroad involving conflicts of law and jurisdictional issues, package travel claims, claims under the Athens and Montreal Conventions.
Daniel undertakes clinical negligence work for both claimants and defendants. He receives regular instructions from NHS Trusts and has experience of medical inquests.
His practice also includes claims arising from industrial disease (including mesothelioma and asbestosis claims), historic sex abuse, RTAs, and EL / PL. He is experienced in costs issues, including costs budgeting.
Daniel has experience of acting in claims in other jurisdictions, including in the Privy Council and in Jersey. He has also acted for employers and employees in a variety of Tribunal claims.
- The Uninsured Drivers’ Agreement 2015 (College of Law, Jan 2016)
- Joining a Foreign Tortfeasor to an Odenbreit Claim (Jordans, Jul 2015)
- UK Motor Insurance and Europe (College of Law, Jul 2015)
- The Limitations of Odenbreit (Jordans, Jun 2015)
- The Brussels I Regulation Recast (Jordans, Nov 2014)
- QOCS and Third Party Claims (Jordans, Aug 2014)
- Remedies, APIL Guide to Accidents Abroad (Jordans, 2013)
HH v Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (QBD)
Claim by psychiatrist against employer for injuries caused by assault by patient.
LXC v LXF (QBD)
Claim by victim of child sex abuse in 1970s against estate of perpetrator.
TE v Barking, Havering & Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust (QBD)
Acting for NHSLA in clinical negligence claim by family of woman who died suddenly aged 43 from undifferentiated connective tissue disorder.
Inquest touching death of PR (Westminster Coroner’s Court)
Acting pro bono in 4-day inquest for family of man who died following fall out of bed in hospital.
Whitehead v Co-op & Ors (QBD)
Head injury claim by young couple whose minibus turned over on a motorway on honeymoon in Mexico (junior).
Hall v Maritek  UKPC 23
Appeal to Privy Council from Bahamas in claim for sale of land worth US$11m (junior).
Veolia v Gumbs  All ER (D) 144 (Mar)
Appeal to EAT in race discrimination claim raising issue as to burden of proof.
Dev v Lloyds TSB, UKEAT/0281/13/RN (2014)
Appeal to EAT in unfair dismissal claim raising issue as to correct approach to Polkey.
Anguilla Business Services Ltd v St Kitts Scenic Railway Ltd
Claim in Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court against company directors for US$3m (junior).
Re Fleetlite  EWHC 3484
Claim by liquidator for £1m against directors of construction company (junior).
Giste v R
Pro bono appeal to Privy Council from Bahamas in capital murder case (junior).
Appointments & Memberships
- Judicial Assistant, Court of Appeal
- Research Assistant, Centre for Socio-Legal Studies, University of Oxford
- Research Assistant, Law Commission
- Tutor (Criminal Law), UCL
- Franco-British Lawyers Association
- Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Prince of Wales Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
- CS en Droit Français, Université de Panthéon-Assas (Paris II)
- LLB 1st (Law with French Law), University College London
- BCL, University of Oxford
Areas of Law
- Clinical Negligence
- Employment & Discrimination
- Personal Injury
- International Illness, Injury & Travel
“An experienced practitioner in travel claims with an especially good manner with minors. His knowledge of French is also a bonus.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2018
“His advice is very precise, he’s good on his feet and he’s very down-to-earth.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2018
“He gets into the detail and takes a quiet, considered approach.” Travel, Legal 500 2017
“Particularly noted for cases with an international element.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2017
“He gives difficult advice very openly and honestly, and is capable of spotting tricky issues.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“Daniel is an experienced practitioner in travel claims and has an especially good manner with minors.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“Daniel is always just an e-mail away and you can have a sensible discussion around the case.” Travel, Chambers & Partners 2017
“His strengths are his eye for detail, coupled with a calm, relaxed approach.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2016
“Very personable and good with clients.” Personal Injury, Legal 500 2015