Year of Call:
Michael Uberoi practises in regulatory and commercial litigation, with a particular focus upon pensions and financial services. He is described in the 2017 legal directories as being “an exceptional advocate”, who is “exceptionally good. Very, very hard-working…a really good advocate ”.
Most recently (July 2017) he has appeared as junior counsel for the representative beneficiary in the Court of Appeal in the case of Safeway v (1) Newton (2) Safeway Pension Trustees Ltd  EWHC 377 (Ch), believed to be the largest pensions equalisation claim to come before the courts.
Michael appears in all courts (both as sole and junior counsel) and is frequently instructed to obtain interlocutory relief. Recently (in 2017) he has: successfully obtained a freezing injunction over assets totalling £3 million; successfully resisted an application for a mandatory injunction in a dispute between company directors; and resisted an application to convert an interim anti-suit injunction into a final injunction.
Michael is a member of COMBAR, and is registered with the Dubai International Financial Centre. He is called to the Bar of Northern Ireland, and sits on the Education & Training Sub-Committee of the Association of Pension Lawyers.
Commercial & Chancery
Michael acts in commercial disputes. Recent cases (in 2016 and into 2017) include:
- an ongoing action involving alleged breach of a verbal agreement regarding commission payments, the Commercial Agency Regulations, fraudulent misrepresentation and deceit
- obtaining a freezing injunction (in the sum of approximately £3 million) and advising in relation to the underlying breach of loan agreement / guarantee action, on behalf of an international marketing firm
- advising in two ongoing claims against major banks, with regard to alleged breach of contract, misrepresentation, and failure to exercise a contractual lending discretion in good faith
- a claim for breach of contract, misrepresentation, and failure to exercise a contractual lending discretion in good faith against a major bank which settled in the claimant’s favour for a sum of approximately £2.5 million
- advising in connection with a claim for breach of contract / misrepresentation over the terms of a foreign exchange trading account and a decision to close out positions in alleged breach of contract
- advising a Premier League footballer with regard to his sponsorship agreement with a major sportswear manufacturer, in connection with alleged penalty clauses.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pension Lawyers (APL) (Education & Training Sub-Committee)
Michael Uberoi is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Commercial & Chancery
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
- Financial Services
- Law In Sport
- Pensions & Trusts
- Private Client
- Professional Negligence
“Very likeable and very good on his feet.” Chambers & Partners 2018
“He puts clients at ease, and is well prepared and easy to get on with.” Chambers & Partners 2018
“Exceptionally skilled in communicating with clients.” Legal 500 2017
“An exceptional advocate, who is doggedly determined to ensure fairness for his client.” Legal 500 2017
“Exceptionally good. Very, very hard-working, incredibly incise, lots of panache and confidence. A really good advocate.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Highly thought of junior who represents professionals before the FCA Enforcement Division. Analytical, calmly persuasive and thorough; when you send him papers, you know he’ll have read, analysed and carefully prepared every aspect of the case.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Michael is a very impressive junior barrister who is knowledgeable and accomplished beyond his years. He is sensible, realistic and pragmatic in his advice, whilst his care in presenting a case is notable.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“A great team player, who takes a sensible, pragmatic approach.” Legal 500 2016
“An excellent junior, who punches above his weight.” Legal 500 2016
“He adopts a firm but calm approach, and clearly sets out the reality of a case to clients. He is extremely well prepared for all his cases and employs imaginative arguments on behalf of his client to achieve the best results possible.” “He is knowledgeable and accomplished beyond his years.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“A good advocate who comes over very well.” “He is extremely hard-working, highly approachable and a good communicator.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“A bright junior with a strong intellect and good judgement; he will go far.” Legal 500 2016
“He did an extremely good job in difficult circumstances.” Chambers & Partners 2015
“He is already very good and in five years will be a major name in the field.” Chambers & Partners 2014
“Michael Uberoi appears regularly in public inquiries. [He] recently advised the former Director General of the BBC in connection with his appearance before the Pollard Inquiry.” Chambers & Partners 2014
Michael Uberoi “Also tackles sports-related cases…[he] has a growing practice in this field and is building a solid reputation amongst his peers.” Chambers & Partners 2014
“Knowledgeable beyond his years.” Legal 500 2014
“Michael Uberoi is making a name for himself.” Chambers & Partners 2013