To find out more, contact David Smith (+44 (0)20 7427 4905) or call us on +44 (0)20 7353 6381 for a confidential discussion.
Our professional clerking staff can help you identify the right barrister for your case.
Year of Call:
Nick Hill practises in commercial law, with a particular focus on Banking and Financial Services, Pensions law and Employment Law. He is a member of the Attorney General’s C Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown and ranked in Chambers & Partners 2017 as an “up-and-coming junior with significant expertise in financial services law.”
Current or recent commercial work includes acting (alone) for the subsidiary of a well known PLC to obtain a freezing injunction and search order, acting for a well known investment bank in respect of investigations by the Serious Fraud Office and Financial Conduct Authority (led by Richard Lissack QC), and acting for the Directors of an off-shore Investment Manager and off-shore Fund in a massive multi-party, multi-jurisdictional high value shareholder dispute concerning various alleged frauds, breaches of fiduciary duties and numerous other claims (led by Andrew Spink QC).
Current or recent Pensions work includes acting (led by Andrew Spink QC) in a very significant professional negligence claim against an investment adviser and fund manager, acting (led by Nicolas Stallworthy QC) in a dispute focussed on the proper construction of the contribution rule powers in a Trust Deed, and advising (alone) on a range of issues surrounding suspected pensions liberation.
Nick has first class degrees in Politics (BA Hons) and Law (LLB Hons). He was first in the order of merit as an undergraduate and at Bar School and held, uniquely, the Princess Royal and Stephen Chapman Scholarships from Inner Temple. He is the author of chapter 3 “The Bribery Act 2010” in the Second Edition of Lissack and Horlick on Bribery (LexisNexis 2014).
Recent client feedback (from a Partner at an American Law Firm in London) was that Nick “is bright, hard-working and a real joy to work with…we look forward to an opportunity to instruct him again.”
Employment & Discrimination
In Employment and Discrimination law Nick has extensive experience appearing in the tribunal (across the country) for Claimants and Respondents (25:75). His practice includes unfair dismissal, TUPE and discrimination claims across the range of protected grounds.
Recent work has included:
- Successfully appearing (at trial) for a well-known charity resisting a disability discrimination claim (London South).
- Acting for an international fashion brand (at trial) successfully defeating a claim for race discrimination (London Central).
- Obtaining a protective award of 90-days for 104 Claimants following the closure of a factory (Ashford).
- Representing a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to supporting vulnerable adults with disabilities in defeating 51 separate allegations at trial (Reading).
- Acting for the subsidiary of a well known PLC in the High Court in obtaining a freezing injunction arising from a fraud committed by company employee. Nick appeared (alone) at the original ex-parte hearing, on the return date and on the successful application for summary judgment in respect of the substantive proceedings (in respect of both breach of fiduciary duty and breach of contract).
Nick is conscious of the significance of employment claims to Claimants and Respondents (irrespective of the value of the claim and/or the range of issues before the tribunal or court) and is always pleased to be involved in the litigation process at an early stage through written advice and/or conferences as appropriate.
He has a particular interest and experience in cross-over work between Employment and Pensions and Employment cases with a FS element.
Nick is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association and the Industrial Law Society.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Young International Arbitration Group
- Commercial Bar Association
Nicholas Hill is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Financial Services
- Pensions & Trusts
- Professional Negligence
“An excellent junior barrister, he grasped an enormous amount of documentation and information, knew his way around the trust instrument quickly, and advised senior clients with confidence and skill in a lengthy conference.” Pensions, Chambers & Partners 2018
“He is good on his feet, knows his stuff and is a very good team player.” Pensions, Chambers & Partners 2018
“An up-and-coming junior with significant expertise in financial services law. He can boast extensive experience in part 8 claims, professional negligence and contribution disputes.” Pensions, Chambers & Partners 2017
“He’s very practical and gets straight to the point.” Pensions, Chambers & Partners 2017