To find out more, contact David Smith (+44 (0)20 7427 4905) or call us on +44 (0)20 7353 6381 for a confidential discussion.
Our professional clerking staff can help you identify the right barrister for your case.
Year of Call:
Saaman is regularly instructed in complex multi-jurisdictional commercial and regulatory disputes with work often involving the intersection of these fields.
He has particular expertise in financial services, pensions, civil fraud and professional negligence.
His financial services/banking work spans:
(i) high profile investigations work such as acting for a senior trader in relation to the FOREX investigations, and acting for ENRC on matters arising from the SFO’s ongoing investigation, including the significant decision on privilege in SFO v ENRC  EWHC 1017 (QB) (one of The Lawyer’s Top 20 Cases of 2017)
(ii) commercial/chancery litigation (acting on numerous claims relating to the mis-selling of interest rate hedging products, lender’s duties of good faith and LIBOR deceit claims); and
(iii) advice on technical financial services matters.
Saaman’s professional negligence practice has a particular focus on:
(i) solicitor’s negligence, both in a regulatory context and advice and practice relating to pension schemes, and
(ii) financial institutions (actions involving banks, IFAs, personal pension scheme providers and others).
His pensions practice includes leading regulatory cases (Desmonds below), classic chancery pension litigation and a substantial advisory practice including scheme restructurings and buy-outs.
Saaman’s civil fraud practice includes massive multi-jurisdiction corporate frauds which involve the full range of jurisdictional issues, equitable causes of action and remedy, causation and loss and investment scheme frauds.
Saaman conducts his own advocacy in employment matters and deals with issues ranging from unfair dismissal and discrimination to TUPE and contractual claims in the civil courts.
Saaman studied law at the University of Oxford where he was awarded the Peter Carter prize for the best examination results at his college.
Pensions & Trusts
Current or recent work includes:
• The Desmonds Litigation – Saaman was led by Richard Hitchcock QC in this contribution notice case before the Upper Tribunal worth c£20m
• High Court litigation concerning employer contributions to a scheme alleging breach of implied terms in the Claimants’ contracts of employment
• Advising on the largest ever scheme buy-out in Britain in the context of a substantial professional negligence claim (led by Andrew Spink QC)
• Numerous rectification/construction matters
• Advising on a scheme restructuring in the context of corporate transactions concerning the principle employer (led by Andrew Short QC)
• Advising in relation to a potential professional negligence claim in England and related Hastings Bass application in an offshore jurisdiction (led by Nicolas Stallworthy QC)
• Advising in relation to tPR action to prohibit trustees
• Advising on tax issues arising from the operation of Pension Schemes.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Chancery Bar Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- The Commercial Bar Association
Areas of Law
- Business Crime
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Financial Services
- Pensions & Trusts
- International Illness, Injury & Travel
- Professional Negligence
- Public Law