Year of Call:
Simon Oakes practises in commercial law, with a particular focus on banking & financial services matters. He has been involved in major financial services cases in recent years, including the LIBOR test case of Graiseley Properties Ltd v Barclays Bank Plc in the Court of Appeal, and Hockin v Royal Bank of Scotland in the High Court. He has particular experience of LIBOR, and various banks’ Global Restructuring Groups and Business Support Units.
Having been seconded to both the Financial Services Authority and the Pensions Regulator, Simon has acted for individuals in complex regulatory cases, including those brought by international banking regulators.
Commercial & Chancery
Simon is instructed in commercial work more generally, including:
- As part of the counsel team representing the directors of an off-shore Investment Manager and off-shore Fund in a significant high-value shareholder dispute
- Hermes Ors v Banco Espirito Santo. Acting for investors in a civil fraud claim against the failed Portuguese bank and its former directors
- Insolvency disputes in the High Court
- Advising on matters arising out of a film investment scheme
- Simon also appears in the County Court in relation to general commercial / contractual disputes.
Appointments & Memberships
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Sir Louis Gluckstein Prize For Advocacy
- Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Scholar, Christ Church, Oxford University