Year of Call:
Simon Oakes practises in commercial law, with a particular focus on banking & financial services matters. He has been involved in major financial services cases in recent years, including the LIBOR test case of Graiseley Properties Ltd v Barclays Bank Plc in the Court of Appeal, and Hockin v Royal Bank of Scotland in the High Court. He has particular experience of LIBOR, and various banks’ Global Restructuring Groups and Business Support Units.
Having been seconded to both the Financial Services Authority and the Pensions Regulator, Simon has acted for individuals in complex regulatory cases, including those brought by international banking regulators.
Pensions & Trusts
Simon was seconded to the Pensions Regulator for five months in 2015, working across the Regulator’s legal teams. He built up a good knowledge of the Regulator’s approach, in particular whilst working on pensions liberation / scams, avoidance and scheme funding matters, as well as advising in relation to statutory interpretation and the exercise of the Regulator’s powers.
Simon’s current pensions work includes:
- Re: the Wandel & Goltermann Retirement Benefits Scheme  EWHC 1530 (Ch), as to the validity of scheme deeds and the identity of the Principal Employer (led by Nicolas Stallworthy QC)
- A professional negligence claim, arising out of an alleged failure to advise in relation to pension scheme amendments (led by David E. Grant)
- A pensions professional negligence claim, arising out of a failure to validly amend a scheme deed (led by Nicolas Stallworthy QC)
- Advising (led by Richard Hitchcock QC and Lydia Seymour) on the enforceability of non-pensionability agreements, and on proposed amalgamation of trustee boards of several different schemes
- A professional negligence claim against the administrator of a personal pension scheme
- Advising members of various schemes on potential complaints to the Pensions Ombudsman.
Appointments & Memberships
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Association of Pension Lawyers
- Sir Louis Gluckstein Prize For Advocacy
- Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Scholar, Christ Church, Oxford University
Simon Oakes is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.