Marine & Fisheries
"An entrepreneurial set", Outer Temple Chambers is "more cutting edge and innovative than many of its competitors", and is singled out for its "extremely helpful" clerks.
Please contact Dave Scothern (+44 (0)20 7427 4960).
Our experienced clerks will be pleased to provide you with more details of our expertise in this area.
Members of Outer Temple Chambers are consistently instructed in the most serious and high profile maritime regulatory cases. They advise and provide representation in matters conducted by the MCA, MMO, IFCAs, harbour authorities and governments.
Marine & Fisheries Barristers
Our marine & fisheries barristers are routinely instructed by international clients and City law firms, with members of the team undertaking work both in the UK and other jurisdictions.
The set’s impeccable reputation for health, safety and environmental law means that its members are ideally suited to deal with marine and fisheries regulatory matters. The set is synonymous with providing authoritative and pragmatic advice in urgent and often very difficult circumstances.
Members of the team provide advice and representation in respect of the following:
- Collisions pursuant to section 58 Merchant Shipping Act 1995 and the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea 1972.
- Health and safety breaches pursuant to section 98 and 100 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 and Merchant Shipping and Fishing Vessels (Health and Safety at Work) Regulations 1997.
- Breaches of SOLAS and MARPOL 73/78 Conventions, including relevant provisions pursuant to UNCLOS.
- Breaches of the ISM Code.
- Notices of reference of a detention, prohibition or improvement notice to an arbitrator pursuant to the Merchant Shipping Act 1995.
- Wreck & salvage.
- Harbour byelaws.
- Notices issued under the Marine and Coastal Access Act 2009.
- Fishing quota and licenses.
- Offences under the Sea Fish (Conservation) Act 1967, Sea Fishing (Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated Fishing) Order 2009 and breaches of the European Common Fisheries Policy.
- Restraint and confiscation under POCA 2002.
In addition to the above, members are well versed in advising on MAIB investigations, including the declaration taking process part of the investigation, submission, consultation and review of MAIB reports.
MCA v Woolsgrove (2015)
One of our counsel was instructed in the matter of MCA v Woolsgrove, a case that saw the legal team and investigators being presented with the prestigious GLS Prosecution Team of the Year award.
MCA v Hunkin (2015)
MCA v Serco Ltd (2015)
MCA v Knight & Huzzey (The Raiders Of The Lost Wrecks) (2014)
MCA v Morus (The Cardiff Bay Collision) (2014)
WAG v Powell (2014)
MFA v Gilson (2012)
Our Marine & Fisheries Barristers
If you would like to bookmark, save or send a list of barristers and associates* to a colleague, click on the folder icon that displays after the barrister's and associate's* name.