Help and Support
Please select an area
- Legal Enquiries
- - Barristers, door tenants, associates - what do these mean?
- - Do you do public access work?
- - I need a barrister, what should I do?
- - How much does legal advice cost?
- - Will I pay an hourly rate?
- - I've had an accident and want to claim - how much will it cost?
- - What other fee arrangements do you have?
- - What terms of business do you use?
- - Are barristers insured?
- - Are barristers regulated?
- - I don't want to go to Court, I just want to get it sorted
- - I cannot afford a barrister, what are my options?
- - Who should I contact if I have any queries about my case?
- Fee Enquiries
- - How do I pay my fees?
- - How long do I have to pay my fees?
- - I have a fee query, who should I contact?
- - Is VAT added to my bill?
- General Enquiries
- - Are your offices fully accessible?
- - Can you summarise your pupillage arrangements?
- - Do you have any job vacancies?
- - Do you offer mini-pupillage?
- - Do you provide work experience?
- - How can I give you feedback on your service?
- - What are your opening hours?
- - What if I am not happy with the service I received?
- - Why should I use Outer Temple Chambers?
How much does legal advice cost?
Legal advice and representation can be expensive. How much it will cost will depend on the nature of your case and how experienced a barrister you need.
We do not have set rates because every client and every case is different. However, we can give you an idea of how much the fees would be in different types of case:
Example 1: you have a straight forward claim arising from unlawful deduction of wages. We act for you (the Claimant) and the Hearing will take place within the M25. There is a maximum of 1 lever arch file of papers. A junior barrister will be suitable for this case. The barrister will need 1 day to prepare the case and 1 day to appear on your behalf at the hearing.
Under 3 years call £750 + VAT = total cost £900
3-5 years call £1,000 + VAT = total cost £1,200
Example 2: you have a slightly more complex case involving, for instance, unfair dismissal or discrimination. We act for you (the Claimant) and the Hearing will take place within the M25. There are 1-2 lever arch files of papers. An experienced barrister will be needed for this case. The barrister will need 2 days to prepare the case (around 20 hours) and 1-2 days to appear on your behalf at the hearing, which is expected to have 2-3 witnesses on each side. The brief fee includes all of this preparation and the first day of the hearing. The “refresher” is the fee for every additional day required.
3-5 years call. £1,750 brief, £500 refresher
5-10 years call. £2,000-£2,500 brief, £850 refresher
10-15 years call. £2,750-£3,000 brief, £1250 refresher
All fees plus VAT
Example 3: you have a complex claim involving, for instance, unfair dismissal, whistleblowing or discrimination. We act for you (the Claimant) and the Hearing will take place within the M25. There are multiple bundles of papers. An experienced barrister will be needed for this case. The barrister will need 4-5 days to prepare the case (up to 50 hours) which includes a conference with you, skeleton submissions, and any other documents counsel thinks relevant. The brief fee includes all of this preparation and the first day of the hearing. The “refresher” is the fee for every additional day required.
3-5 years call. £2,500 brief, £500 refresher
5-10 years call. £4,500-£6,000 brief, £850 refresher
10-15 years call. £6,500-£7,500 brief, £1,250 refresher
All fees plus VAT
We represent you/ your child at a 1 day Special Educational Needs hearing. The brief fee includes up to 10 hours preparation and a full day hearing within the M25. The preparation of a working document is charged in addition to the brief fee at £175-£200.
5-10 years call. £2,500 brief. This is the Standard Fee for a SEN hearing.
All fees plus VAT
We recommend that you contact our clerks, without any obligation, to discuss your case. We will tell you whether we have someone suitable, what will be involved, and give you an idea of what your case will cost. We will ask to see some papers before providing you with a costs estimate.