Contact our clerks at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)20 7353 6381 for a confidential discussion.
Our professional clerking staff can help identify the right barrister for your case.
Year of Call:
Alexandra Baumgart joined Chambers in September 2018 after successfully completing pupillage. During pupillage she gained experience across the spectrum of Chambers’ core practice areas.
Originally from Sydney, Australia, Alexandra studied English Law with German Law at St Hilda’s College, University of Oxford (2009-2013). Building on her Erasmus year at Ludwig-Maximilians-University, Munich, parallel Masters studies in German Law, and European and International Commercial Law, Alexandra developed her expertise in European Union, Commercial and Public Law (2013-2014). She was called to the Bar by Lincoln’s Inn in 2015 (Hardwicke Entrance Scholar).
Prior to commencing pupillage, Alexandra worked as an ICC tribunal assistant on a long-standing construction and energy dispute, a trainee to Judge Vajda of the Court of Justice of the European Union in Luxembourg, and as an intern in the World Trade Organisation’s Appellate Body.
She is also finishing a Public International Law PhD at Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich, examining judicial reasoning across international courts and tribunals including the ICJ, the World Trade Organisation’s Appellate Body, ICSID investment arbitration tribunals and the European Court of Human Rights. She maintains an active academic role and has presented at conferences on trade, investment and human rights topics (ESIL 2017, King’s College London 2017).
Pensions & Trusts
In the course of her pupillage, Alexandra gained broad experience of pensions disputes. This included advising on issues surrounding the validity of pension trust deeds, amendments to pension schemes, construction, severance and rectification.
Specific examples include:
- Assisting Andrew Spink QC and Saul Margo in Wedgwood Pension Plan Trustee Ltd v Salt  EWHC 79 (Ch);  Pens LR 9, a week long Part 8 pensions trial
- Assisting Nicolas Stallworthy QC in advising on pension scheme liabilities in the context of the sale of a company
Since starting tenancy, Alexandra has acted as junior to David E. Grant in a rectification case addressing pensions benefit increases.
- Lincoln’s Inn Scholarship, Traineeship at the CJEU (2016)
- Semi-Finalist, Inter-Inn Moot, Lincoln’s Inn (2015)
- Hardwicke Entrance Award, Lincoln’s Inn (2014)
- Beck Publishers’ Award, Ludwig-Maximilians-University (2014)
- Semi-Finalist, International Roman Law Moot (2012)
Other achievements include:
- Top 25 Winner, startsocial competition, representing NGO “Digital Helpers”, with personal congratulations from German Chancellor Angela Merkel (2017)
- Winner, Google Impact Challenge Germany (10,000EUR), representing Digital Helpers (2016)
- Full Blues and Half Blues, Oxford University Women’s Basketball (2009-2013)
- AMusA Diploma for Cello Performance (2007)
- German (fluent)
- French (intermediate)
- Mandarin (basic)