Year of Call:
Gus’ practice focuses on employment, pensions, commercial litigation, professional negligence and financial services disputes.
He is regularly instructed to advise and represent clients in courts and tribunals at all levels and has appeared in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal as well as in various County Courts, Employment Tribunals and Crown Courts.
Gus’ clients include FTSE 100 companies, senior executives, NHS trusts, major banks and individuals.
Gus regularly provides training and CPD sessions for leading firms. He is the co-author of the chapters of Butterworths Financial Regulation Service dealing with the FCA’s Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Gus is also the co-author of the latest edition of the Law Society’s Employment Law Handbook and is the editor of the chapter in Tolley’s Employment Law Service regarding the fairness of dismissals.
Commercial & Chancery
Gus has a broad commercial practice and is able to advise and provide representation in relation to pensions, financial services, and general commercial matters.
Recent examples of Gus’ work include:
- being instructed, led by Andrew Spink QC, to advise and draft legislation for a public authority in the Middle East in preparation for planned reform of jurisdiction’s statute on company law
- being instructed, unled, in a matter relating to the insolvency of one of the last remaining deep coal mines in the UK, Hatfield Colliery
- acting as part of the counsel team for Grant Thornton UK LLP in the multi-million-pound conspiracy claims brought by Robert Tchenguiz in the Commercial Court
- advising a private equity fund on a series of claims brought by a former CEO of a portfolio company, including questions of jurisdiction
- advising and representing banks in claims by consumers
- representing solicitors in professional negligence actions
- advising and drafting pleadings in professional negligence actions with regards to purchases of high end cars and boats
- being instructed to advise on issues relating to agency and apparent authority in proceedings against a global law firm
- being instructed as part of a junior counsel team in international arbitration proceedings in relation to the breach of a joint venture agreement
- representing Defendants in breach of contract and claims under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 in the County Court
- being instructed to attend court on behalf of a major bank in a complex case relating to manipulation of the dollar Libor rate, assisting Michael Bowes QC
- advising on Part 36 offers in cases concerning breaches of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000 and the enforceability of agreements, assisting David E Grant
- assisting Benjimin Burgher in a case concerning expulsion from an LLP agreement and the express duty of good faith
Gus regularly provides advice on disclosure and privilege issues in large commercial cases as part of a team of junior counsel.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pensions Lawyers
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association
Gus Baker is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Pensions & Trusts
- Personal Injury
- Financial Services
- Professional Negligence