Year of Call:
Gus’ practice focuses on employment, pensions, commercial litigation, professional negligence and financial services disputes.
He is regularly instructed to advise and represent clients in courts and tribunals at all levels and has appeared in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal as well as in various County Courts, Employment Tribunals and Crown Courts.
Gus’ clients include FTSE 100 companies, senior executives, NHS trusts, major banks and individuals.
Gus regularly provides training and CPD sessions for leading firms. He is the co-author of the chapters of Butterworths Financial Regulation Service dealing with the FCA’s Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Gus is also the co-author of the latest edition of the Law Society’s Employment Law Handbook and is the editor of the chapter in Tolley’s Employment Law Service regarding the fairness of dismissals.
Employment & Discrimination
Gus has a busy employment law practice and regularly undertakes multi day hearings against more senior counsel. Gus’ clients include banks, FTSE 100 companies, public sector organisations and individuals. He is experienced at advising senior managers and employees on how to achieve exits on favourable terms.
Gus undertakes a significant amount of advisory work, including advising on TUPE transfers, pensions/employment crossover issues, holiday pay and restrictive covenants.
Where cases litigate, Gus provides robust advocacy. His submissions have been described as being advanced “seductively” and “with skill and detail” by Langstaff J (see Dynasystems for Trade and General Consulting Ltd and Others v Mr M Moseley UKEAT/0091/17/BA).
Gus’ experience in litigating commercial, pensions and personal injury disputes means that he brings a broad perspective to his employment work, which often assists when there are complex issues involving damages and remedies.
The following are recent examples of Gus’ work:
- advising a national supermarket on holiday pay related issues;
- succeeding in an appeal before Eady J overturning the ET’s decision on victimisation and unfair dismissal – Ms I Elston v 1) Robbie’s Photographic Ltd 2) Mr W McRobbie UKEAT/0282/18/RN
- representing a firm of solicitors in a civil appeal in relation to a professional negligence claim arising out of the handling of employment advice and litigation;
- representing a large bank in claims for disability discrimination made by a senior employee
- advising the directors of a Dubai owned business on potential claims being brought by a former CEO
- representing various FTSE 100 companies in claims for disability discrimination
- acting in a multi week sexual harassment case on behalf of a senior individual
- acting in a multi week race harassment case, involving allegations of racially motivated assault with significant personal injury damages claimed
- acting for a senior manager of a large retail distributor on claims for unfair dismissal, breach of contract and non-payment of a contractual bonus
- being instructed by the Government Legal Department in a High Court employment action involving over 70 claimants
- acting in a claim for disability discrimination brought against the Secretary of State for Justice
- acting for an individual in a case listed for three weeks involving racially aggravated workplace violence
- advising senior solicitors in major firms in relation to claims against their employer
- acting in multiple discrimination and whistleblowing claims concerning serving police officers
- being led by Natasha Joffe in the Court of Appeal in Rabess v London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority  EWCA Civ 1017.
Gus is the co-author of the Law Society’s “Employment Law Handbook”, 7th edition. He is the editor of the chapter in Tolley’s Employment Law Service (published by Lexis Nexis) dealing with the fairness of dismissals.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pensions Lawyers
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association
Gus Baker is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Pensions & Trusts
- Personal Injury
- Financial Services
- Professional Negligence