Year of Call:
Gus’ practice focuses on employment, pensions, commercial litigation, professional negligence and financial services disputes.
He is regularly instructed to advise and represent clients in courts and tribunals at all levels and has appeared in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal as well as in various County Courts, Employment Tribunals and Crown Courts.
Gus’ clients include FTSE 100 companies, senior executives, NHS trusts, major banks and individuals.
Gus regularly provides training and CPD sessions for leading firms. He is the co-author of the chapters of Butterworths Financial Regulation Service dealing with the FCA’s Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Gus is also the co-author of the latest edition of the Law Society’s Employment Law Handbook and is the editor of the chapter in Tolley’s Employment Law Service regarding the fairness of dismissals.
Gus is regularly instructed in financial services litigation, acting both for and against banks. Gus has particular expertise in misselling claims and is the co-author of the chapter of Butterworths Financial Regulation Service dealing with the FCA’s Conduct of Business Sourcebook.
Gus’ recent work includes:
- advising, acting and drafting pleadings in claims brought against banks under the Consumer Credit Act 1974
- representing high street banks and lenders in multi-track claims brought by consumers
- acting on behalf of consumers and businesses in large misselling claims, including drafting submissions and pleadings and advising on disclosure
- providing advice on whether undertakings were carrying out regulated activity in breach of the general prohibition in FSMA 2000
- acting in claims brought by a spread betting company under Section 138D of FSMA 2000
- advising a bank on the impact on the applicability of the FCA’s Senior Managers and Certification regime to an internal disciplinary investigation
Gus is able to combine his knowledge of pensions and employment law with his experience in financial services litigation. He is the author of a recent article in the New Law Journal concerning pensions misselling and the COBS rules (here).
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pensions Lawyers
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association
Gus Baker is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Pensions & Trusts
- Personal Injury
- Financial Services
- Professional Negligence