Year of Call:
Gus’ practice focuses on employment, pensions, commercial litigation, professional negligence and financial services disputes.
He is regularly instructed to advise and represent clients in courts and tribunals at all levels and has appeared in the High Court, the Court of Appeal and the Employment Appeal Tribunal as well as in various County Courts, Employment Tribunals and Crown Courts.
Gus’ clients include FTSE 100 companies, senior executives, NHS trusts, major banks and individuals.
Gus regularly provides training and CPD sessions for leading firms. He is the co-author of the chapters of Butterworths Financial Regulation Service dealing with the FCA’s Conduct of Business Sourcebook. Gus is also the co-author of the latest edition of the Law Society’s Employment Law Handbook and is the editor of the chapter in Tolley’s Employment Law Service regarding the fairness of dismissals.
A significant part of Gus’ practice involves acting in professional negligence claims, in particular claims against solicitors, surveyors and pensions professionals.
Gus was recently instructed on behalf of the claimants (led by Patrick Lawrence QC and David E. Grant) in a five-week, high value, multi-party professional negligence claim against a pension scheme administrator, a firm of solicitors and a silk in a claim arising out of the decision of Newey J in Gleeds Retirement Benefits Scheme  EWHC 1178. The claim resolved on the first day of trial.
Examples of Gus’ work include:
- successfully acting for defendant solicitors in proceedings (including an appeal) concerning allegedly negligent advice on limitation;
- a large claim against a surveyor concerning a negligent valuation;
- acting on behalf of a trading company in claims relating to allegedly negligent advice and administration of CFD, forex and spreadbetting accounts;
- claims against conveyancing solicitors concerning negligent tax advice;
- acting on behalf of a FTSE 100 bank in claims concerning the allegedly negligent administration of various financial products;
- a claim against scheme administrators concerning financial advice (or the lack thereof) given to pensioners.
Appointments & Memberships
- Association of Pensions Lawyers
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association
Gus Baker is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Pensions & Trusts
- Personal Injury
- Financial Services
- Professional Negligence