Kate Davenport QC
Year of Call:
Kate Davenport QC was admitted to the New Zealand Bar in 1983 and became a Barrister sole in 1990 and took Silk in 2013. Kate was admitted to the Bar of England & Wales in July 2015.
Kate was awarded NZ Lawyer Barrister of the Year Award in 2013, and is a former Vice President of the New Zealand Law Society and the New Zealand Bar Association.
Kate is a civil and commercial litigator with more than 23 years’ experience at the independent Bar. She is also a qualified mediator, and was part of the High Court pilot mediation panel and was a member of the Weathertight Homes Mediation panel.
Kate practises primarily in civil and commercial litigation including cases involving contracts and torts, equity and trusts, insolvency and company law, land law, construction law, relationship property and health law. Kate has experience of representing families, and other parties at Inquests. touching upon all aspects of clinical care and accidental death.
Kate has extensive experience in all areas of clinical and professional negligence having for a number of years prosecuted for, and then adjudicated on, all aspects of clinical negligence for all types of health professionals. She is efficient, friendly and has an inclusive and client-focused approach to litigation. She has the ability to quickly identify the relevant issues and to work rapidly towards a resolution.
Kate writes extensively in the area of Trust Law and is a contributing editor to LexisNexis Law of Trusts. She has a special interest in professional regulation, and is deputy chair of the Real Estate Agents Disciplinary Tribunal. She was for 9 years Deputy Chair of the Health Practitioners Disciplinary Tribunal.
- Post Grad Cert. in Health Science (Ethics), Auckland University of Technology
- Master of Jurisprudence (Distinction), Auckland University
- LLB (Hons), Auckland University
Appointments & Memberships
- Former Chair, Ethics Committee on Assisted Reproductive Technology (ECART), 2008-2015
- Chair, Film & Literature Board of Review
- New Zealand Law Society Prosecution Panel
- Vice President of the New Zealand Law Society from 2004–2007
- Vice President of the New Zealand Bar Association 2011-2012
- President Elect Auckland Medico-Legal Society (current).
- Convenor Committee organising World Bar Conference 2014
Areas of Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Clinical Negligence
- Commercial & Chancery
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
- Pensions & Trusts
- Professional Negligence