Contact our clerks at email@example.com or call us on +44 (0)20 7353 6381 for a confidential discussion.
Our professional clerking staff can help identify the right barrister for your case.
Year of Call:
Maria is our current pupil on the Outer Temple Chambers Extended Pupillage Scheme in association with the Free Representation Unit (FRU). Having completed her first six months with FRU, Maria has joined Chambers to commence her formal twelve months of pupillage. Maria has now begun her practising second six months of pupillage and accepts instructions in all of Chambers’ practice areas.
As part of her first six months with FRU Maria was instructed in a wide range of employment law claims including unfair dismissal, whistleblowing, TUPE, redundancy and breach of contract.
Maria also successfully represented clients in social security appeals at the First-Tier Tribunal. This has provided her with first-hand insight into the challenges faced by vulnerable clients with complex health conditions.
Education and previous experience
Prior to commencing pupillage, Maria worked as a County Court Advocate at a nationwide law firm. During her time as an Advocate, she represented clients in a range of civil disputes including mortgage possessions, infant approval hearings, bankruptcy proceedings and landlord and tenant matters.
Maria also gained significant commercial legal experience, working as part of an in-house legal team for a leading multinational company headquartered in Malaysia.
Before being called to the Bar, Maria read Law at the University of Birmingham (2012 – 2015) and later went on to complete the BPTC at the University of Law (2015 – 2016). Maria remains dedicated to pro bono work and has volunteered with organisations including Advocate, SIFA Fireside, The University of Birmingham’s Free Legal Advice Clinic and Citizens Advice.
As Will Young’s pupil Maria experienced a wide range of matters relating to personal injury and clinical negligence law. Maria attended conferences with medical experts and clients as well as Costs and Case Management Hearings and Round Table settlement meetings. Maria also completed a broad range of written work including:
- An Advice on Quantum in an RTA claim;
- An Advice on merits in a clinical negligence claim: involving possible surgical negligence during cholecystectomy;
- Particulars of Claim in a clinical negligence claim: involving allegations of optometrist negligence;
- A Defence in a clinical negligence claim: involving allegations of surgical and radiological negligence;
A Schedule of Loss in a complicated clinical negligence claim: involving admitted surgical negligence in a Total Hip Replacement.
Under Michael Uberoi’s tutelage Maria experienced a wide range of matters relating to pensions, commercial and employment law. Maria attended conferences with professional and lay clients, a mediation involving disputed pension benefits of retired directors and a two-week employment tribunal case involving claims of race discrimination, harassment and victimisation. Maria also completed a broad range of written work including:
- Particulars of Claim in a case involving fraudulent misrepresentation;
- A Defence and an Advice in a case involving rectification of a commercial contract;
- An Advice and a Letter before Action in a case involving misselling of “scam” pensions investments;
- A Note on a point of law regarding actuarial negligence regarding the actions of a statutorily appointed scheme actuary viz a large pensions scheme and its funding;
- A Skeleton Argument for a Norwich Pharmacal order;
- Written submissions in an employment tribunal case involving direct discrimination, harassment, and victimisation.
In her own practice Maria has represented clients in preliminary and final hearings at the employment tribunal including successfully representing a client in an unlawful deduction from wages claim.
Examples of recent instructions include:
- Particulars of Claim in a claim involving, protected disclosure detriment, constructive unfair dismissal and automatic unfair dismissal;
- Particulars of Claim in a claim involving constructive unfair dismissal, unlawful deduction from wages and restrictive covenants;
- An Advice in a breach of contract and wrongful dismissal claim;
- An Advice in a TUPE claim;
- An Advice in a sex discrimination, pregnancy and maternity discrimination, unfair dismissal and automatic unfair dismissal claim.
Maria has continued her pro bono work with FRU, and has represented clients in a Judicial Mediation and in preliminary hearings. More recently, she has successfully represented a lay client in a complex holiday pay claim under the Working Time Regulations 1998.
Appointments & Memberships
- Attorney General’s Junior Junior Scheme
- Personal Injury Bar Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
- The Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn
- Barrister’s Wig Award (The University of Law) (2019)