Year of Call:
“An impressive senior junior well versed in large scale litigation”. Oliver Powell is ranked in both Chambers & Partners (UK) and The Legal 500. One solicitor observed: “He is superb to work with. He works night and day for his clients and always gets great results”. He is praised as “an extremely confident and charming advocate”.
He undertakes instructions that involve the regulation of business activity and commerce. His practice encompasses: asset forfeiture & civil recovery; business crime; commercial fraud; financial services; health & safety; and indirect tax.
Recent or extant work includes:
- representing Behzad Fuels (UK) Ltd in the Court of Appeal;
- advising a well-known fund manager in relation to an FCA investigation;
- retained to advise on the largest ever financial investigation conducted in the IOM;
- representing a former SVP of Alstom Network UK charged with conspiracy to corrupt;
- advising an individual following the London Capital & Finance Plc collapse;
- retained by Bombardier in relation to the 2016 Croydon tram derailment;
- advising a large corporate in relation to an investigation by OFSI;
- advising a former Director of British Solar Renewables Ltd in relation to an SFO investigation.
Oliver is routinely instructed in matters with an international element and usually cases involving allegations of dishonesty, sharp practice or breach of trust. He is a Barrister of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (BVI), a member of the New York State Bar Association, and in recent years has undertaken work in inter alia: USA, UAE, Greece, Falkland Islands and UK offshore jurisdictions such as the Isle of Man.
Oliver acts for multinationals, SMEs and private individuals, and is routinely instructed by City law firms. His strong interpersonal skills, candid advice and robust advocacy allow him to forge solid working relationships, making him a popular choice with solicitors and clients alike.
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Sixth Edition), OUP (to be published in 2021)
- Contributor to Lissack & Horlick on Bribery (Third Edition), LexisNexis (2020)
- Co-author on Conducting Investigations in the Midst of the COVID-19 pandemic: Five Threats and an Opportunity, Inside (Summer 2020), Vol. 38, No. 2, Corporate Counsel Section, NYSBA
- Co-author on How the UK justice system has adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Public Sector Counter Fraud Journal, Issue 5 (June 2020)
- Co-author on Sanctions: Foreign Policy, Economic Warfare, or Both?, Inside (Spring/Summer 2019), Vol. 37, No. 1, Corporate Counsel Section, NYSBA
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fifth Edition), OUP (2018)
- Co-author on The law and practice of international investigations: Privilege (UK), Global Investigations Review (2016 to present)
- Co-author on Marine accidents: investigations and inquiries (UK Westlaw Insight), Sweet & Maxwell (2014 to present)
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fourth Edition), OUP (2013)
- Co-author on A Supplementary Code for Crown Prosecutors, a draft code to be used when the MMO or MCA are contemplating bringing a prosecution against a seafarer, Seafarer’s Rights International (2012)
- Co-author on Generic Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning prosecutions and investigations bought on behalf of government agencies around the globe, Seafarers’ Rights International (2012)
- Co-author on Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning investigations and prosecutions bought by the police and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, together with investigations by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, Seafarers’ Rights International (2012)
Oliver is ranked in the Legal 500 for Business and Regulatory Crime (including Global Investigations), and both the Legal 500 and Chambers & Partners for Proceeds of Crime (POCA) and Asset Forfeiture. He is a contributor to both Millington and Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime and Lissack and Horlick on Bribery, the seminal texts on POCA and Bribery & Corruption respectively.
Oliver acts for companies and company officers in relation to matters that involve allegations of fraud, bribery and corruption, insider dealing, tax evasion, cartels and/or money laundering. He is routinely instructed in matters with an international element and usually cases involving allegations of dishonesty, sharp practice or breach of trust. As well as conducting contentious work which has its genesis in investigations undertaken by the SFO, FCA, CMA and NCA, he has considerable experience in cross-border investigations, corporate and internal investigations. In addition, he maintains a busy advisory practice, providing opinions on ABC, AML, export controls and economic sanctions.
Oliver’s practice has always had a strong emphasis on Asset Forfeiture and the Proceeds of Crime, appearing for the Crown, defence, third parties and receivers. He has advised and acted for a variety of enforcement agencies (CPS, HMRC, UKBA, SFO & NCA), local councils, receivers and liquidators, both in the Crown Court and different divisions of the High Court. His experience has included undertaking work under all three confiscation regimes (DTA 1994, CJA 1988 & POCA 2002).
Oliver has a particular expertise in acting for receivers, third parties, companies, liquidators, administrators and those applying for compensation and release of monies from restraint, receivership and confiscation orders and those caught up with civil recovery of the proceeds of crime (Kitallides, Bark & Co v Khan, SFO v Bates (‘Operation Anderson’).
Oliver is regularly invited to speak at ABC, AML and asset recovery conferences. Amongst others, these have included: YFLA 2019 Summer Seminar; AMLP 7th Annual Anti-Bribery and Corruption Forum; Magistrates’ and Prosecutors Conference, Antigua; and Eastern Caribbean Financial Investigation Advisory Team, Barbados.
Operation Braid (ongoing)
Largest ever financial investigation conducted in the Isle of Man. Retained in relation to an inquiry into multi-jurisdictional tax fraud, money laundering and other related financial crime.
FCA v Individual A (Operation Raunds) (ongoing)
Advising a broker.
FCA v Individual B (ongoing)
Advising a very well-known fund manager.
FCA v Individual C (ongoing)
Advising a broker.
OFSI v Company X (2019)
Advising a large Russian corporate in respect of an investigation by OFSI.
London Capital & Finance Plc (2019)
Advising in relation to an SFO & FCA investigation.
British Solar Renewables Ltd (2018)
Providing pre-charge advice to a former Director in relation to a bribery & corruption investigation.
Operation Schweppes (2018)
SFO v Alstom International Ltd (Operation Ruthenium) (2017)
R v McCormick (POCA 2002) (Operation Venus) (2016)
R v Michael Stannard  EWHC 1199 (Admin)
SFO v Daniel Gooding & Others (POCA 2002) (Operation Steamroller) (2014)
Nasa Khan (CJA 1988) (2014)
NCA v Amir Azam  EWHC 2722 (QB)
NCA v Amir Azam  EWHC 4742 (QB)
Operation S (2014)
Operation Walrus (2012)
Darren Richard Leitch t/a London Mobile Communications v HMRC  UKFTT 229 (TC)
Option NCT Ltd v HMRC  UKFTT 768 (TC)
Fusion Electronics v HMRC  UKFTT (TC)
SFO v Andrew Rybak (POCA 2002) (Operation Navigator) (2011)
SFO v Bates (Operation Anderson) (2009)
Appointments & Memberships
- Vice-Chairman of British Marine Insurance, Financial and Legal Services (2016 to 2020)
- Accredited as a Pupil Supervisor (2013 to present)
- Accredited as a Mentor with the Social Mobility Foundation (2010 to present)
- Admiralty Bar Group
- Association of Certified Sanctions Specialists
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- Health & Safety Lawyers’ Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association
- Revenue Bar Association
- The Fraud Lawyers Association
- Western Circuit
- Junior counsel in GLS Prosecution Team of the Year (2015)
Oliver Powell is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Insolvency & Restructuring
- Business Crime
- Commercial & Chancery
- Financial Services
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Marine & Fisheries
“A fluent and persuasive barrister who has all the facts at his fingertips.” POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2021
“He’s a meticulous, hard-working practitioner who provides sound, commercial advice.” POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2021
“He has a very analytical eye, and communicates well with clients. Very hard-working and diligent”. Business and Regulatory Crime (including global investigations), Legal 500, 2021
“He is knowledgeable, helpful, quick and thorough and he is very deft in handling client expectations”. Environment, Legal 500, 2021
“He is extremely personable and charming, and consistently wins the trust and confidence of clients at the outset”. Health & Safety (Band 1), Legal 500, 2021
“Very diligent, enthusiastic and personable. Instils you with confidence that they know the law and relevant material well and have sensible comments on how it can be applied in practice”. Proceeds of Crime (POCA) and Asset Forfeiture, Legal 500, 2021
“A diligent and hard-working barrister who provides commercially astute and clear advice, giving due consideration to the overall situation, not just the legal position”. POCA: Work and Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2020
“He is proactive, supportive and someone who goes out of his way to help”. POCA: Work and Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2020
“Very responsive and measured, and prepares well for cases”. Business and Regulatory Crime, including Global Investigations, Legal 500 2020
“He combines a methodical approach with an excellent work ethic”. Health & Safety, Legal 500 2020
“An extremely confident and charming advocate”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“Oliver is very meticulous and inspires confidence as he obviously has such good knowledge”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“A very effective advocate in the criminal courts”. Legal 500 2019
“He is superb to work with. He works night and day for his clients, and always gets great results”. Chambers & Partners 2018
“He’s brilliant with clients, very bright, really quick to grasp things and has really good communication skills.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“The quality of work that he does is exceptional and he punches above his weight – he’ll often be against silks and leading juniors even though he’s less senior because he’s such an expert in this area of the law. What it comes down to is that he just works harder than anyone else – he’s completely committed to his client’s cause.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Instructed by the CPS and top firms in complex POCA matters.” Legal 500 2016
“Has a very commanding courtroom presence but is pleasant with it.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Thorough and commercially astute”, he “studies briefs thoroughly and can handle complex instructions at very short notice.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Very highly regarded junior who punches above his weight by a mile”. Chambers & Partners 2016
“He prepares his cases consummately.” Legal 500 2015
“Very intelligent, approachable, commercial and phenomenal on his feet”. Chambers & Partners 2015
“He’s extremely ambitious and also the real deal: he’s got what it takes to really succeed.” Chambers & Partners 2015