Year of Call:
Oliver Powell is ranked in both Chambers & Partners (UK) and The Legal 500. “He is superb to work with.” “He works night and day for his clients and always gets great results”.
He undertakes instructions that involve the regulation of business activity and commerce. His practice encompasses: asset forfeiture & civil recovery; business crime; commercial fraud; financial services; indirect tax and sanctions.
He is routinely instructed in matters with an international element and usually cases involving allegations of dishonesty, sharp practice or breach of trust.
Oliver’s practice has a significant international element. He is a Barrister of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (BVI), a member of the New York State Bar Association, and in recent years has undertaken work in inter alia: USA, UAE, Greece, Falkland Islands and UK offshore jurisdictions such as the Isle of Man.
Oliver acts for multinationals, SMEs and private individuals, and is routinely instructed by City law firms. His strong interpersonal skills, candid advice and robust advocacy allow him to forge solid working relationships, making him a popular choice and highly sought after by solicitors and clients alike.
Oliver is Direct Access accredited and, in the appropriate circumstances, is happy to accept instructions on this premise.
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fifth Edition), OUP (2018)
- The law and practice of international investigations: Privilege (UK), Global Investigations Review, co-written with Saaman Pourghadiri (OTC), Andrew Thornton-Dibb and David Kirk (McGuireWoods London LLP) (Autumn 2017)
- The law and practice of international investigations: Privilege (UK), Global Investigations Review, co-written with Saaman Pourghadiri (OTC), Andrew Thornton-Dibb and David Kirk (McGuireWoods London LLP) (Spring 2017)
- Marine accidents: investigations and inquiries (UK Westlaw Insight), Sweet & Maxwell, co-written with Richard Morris, Partner Thomas Cooper LLP (2016)
- Marine accidents: investigations and inquiries (UK Westlaw Insight), Sweet & Maxwell, co-written with Ian Lawrie QC (2014)
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fourth Edition), OUP (2013)
- A Supplementary Code for Crown Prosecutors, a draft code to be used when the MMO or MCA are contemplating bringing a prosecution against a seafarer, Seafarer’s Rights International, co-written with Ian Lawrie QC (October 2012)
- Generic Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning prosecutions and investigations bought on behalf of government agencies around the globe, Seafarers’ Rights International, co-written with Ian Lawrie QC (June 2012)
- Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning investigations and prosecutions bought by the police and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, together with investigations by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, Seafarers’ Rights International, co-written with Ian Lawrie QC (March 2012)
Oliver’s financial services practice focuses on banking disputes and financial crime. This predominantly includes: regulatory enforcement action taken by the FCA and Lloyd’s; internal investigations conducted by banks and financial institutions; and prosecutions brought by the FCA and SFO. Many of his cases have an international element, and usually involve allegations of dishonesty or breach of trust.
Eurobank Ergasias SA v KMT
Acting for the bank in a €4,000,000 claim in the Commercial Court.
HSBC Private Bank (UK) Ltd v JPB and MMD
Acting for property developer in a £1.5 million claim in the Chancery Division.
DAS UK Holdings Ltd v Paul Asplin (& Others)
Advising and representing Barclays Bank Plc at an Application Hearing in relation to a witness summons seeking confidential information concerning bank customers.
Lloyds of London v CL & DL
Acting for two underwriters in relation to enforcement proceedings.
FCA v JD
Advising a trader in respect of potential enforcement action.
FCA v SK
Advising a high-net-worth individual in respect of a potential action by the FCA, including accompanying him at a compelled interview.
FCA v JC
Advising a trader in respect of enforcement action taken by the FCA.
Appointments & Memberships
- Appointed to the CPS Advocate Panel Scheme
- Appointed to the SFO Advocate Panel Scheme
- Appointed Vice-Chairman of British Marine Insurance, Financial and Legal Services
- Admiralty Bar Group
- Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers
- British Marine
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- Health & Safety Lawyers’ Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association
- Revenue Bar Association
- Royal Yachting Association
- The Fraud Lawyers Association
- Western Circuit
- Junior counsel in GLS Prosecution Team of the Year (2015)
Oliver Powell is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Business Crime
- Commercial & Chancery
- Financial Services
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Marine & Fisheries
“An extremely confident and charming advocate”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“Oliver is very meticulous and inspires confidence as he obviously has such good knowledge”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“A very effective advocate in the criminal courts”. Legal 500 2019
“He is superb to work with. He works night and day for his clients, and always gets great results”. Chambers & Partners 2018
“He’s brilliant with clients, very bright, really quick to grasp things and has really good communication skills.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“The quality of work that he does is exceptional and he punches above his weight – he’ll often be against silks and leading juniors even though he’s less senior because he’s such an expert in this area of the law. What it comes down to is that he just works harder than anyone else – he’s completely committed to his client’s cause.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Instructed by the CPS and top firms in complex POCA matters.” Legal 500 2016
“Has a very commanding courtroom presence but is pleasant with it.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Thorough and commercially astute”, he “studies briefs thoroughly and can handle complex instructions at very short notice.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Very highly regarded junior who punches above his weight by a mile”. Chambers & Partners 2016
“He prepares his cases consummately.” Legal 500 2015
“Very intelligent, approachable, commercial and phenomenal on his feet”. Chambers & Partners 2015
“He’s extremely ambitious and also the real deal: he’s got what it takes to really succeed.” Chambers & Partners 2015