Year of Call:
“An impressive senior junior well versed in large scale litigation”. Oliver Powell is ranked in both Chambers & Partners (UK) and The Legal 500 (in 4 practice areas). One solicitor observed: “He’s a meticulous, hard-working practitioner who provides sound, commercial advice”. He is praised as “an extremely confident and charming advocate”.
He undertakes instructions that involve the regulation of business activity and commerce. His practice encompasses: asset forfeiture & civil recovery; business crime; civil fraud; financial services; health & safety; and indirect tax.
Recent or extant work includes:
- representing Behzad Fuels (UK) Ltd in the Court of Appeal;
- advising a well-known fund manager in relation to an FCA investigation;
- retained in respect of the largest ever financial investigation conducted in the IOM;
- representing a former SVP of Alstom Network UK charged with conspiracy to corrupt;
- advising an individual following the London Capital & Finance Plc collapse;
- retained by Bombardier in relation to the 2016 Croydon tram derailment;
- advising a large corporate in relation to an investigation by OFSI;
- advising a FTSE 250 company in relation to ABC and AML matters.
Oliver is routinely instructed in matters with an international element and usually cases involving allegations of dishonesty, sharp practice or breach of trust. He is a Barrister of the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (BVI), a member of the New York State Bar Association, and in recent years has undertaken work in inter alia: USA, UAE, Greece, Falkland Islands and UK offshore jurisdictions such as the Isle of Man.
Oliver acts for multinationals, SMEs and private individuals, and is routinely instructed by City law firms. His strong interpersonal skills, candid advice and robust advocacy allow him to forge solid working relationships, making him a popular choice with solicitors and clients alike.
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Sixth Edition), OUP (to be published in 2022)
- Contributor to Lissack & Horlick on Bribery (Third Edition), LexisNexis (2020)
- Co-author on Conducting Investigations in the Midst of the COVID-19 pandemic: Five Threats and an Opportunity, Inside (Summer 2020), Vol. 38, No. 2, Corporate Counsel Section, NYSBA
- Co-author on How the UK justice system has adapted to the COVID-19 pandemic, The Public Sector Counter Fraud Journal, Issue 5 (June 2020)
- Co-author on Sanctions: Foreign Policy, Economic Warfare, or Both?, Inside (Spring/Summer 2019), Vol. 37, No. 1, Corporate Counsel Section, NYSBA
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fifth Edition), OUP (2018)
- Co-author on The law and practice of international investigations: Privilege (UK), Global Investigations Review (2016 to present)
- Co-author on Marine accidents: investigations and inquiries (UK Westlaw Insight), Sweet & Maxwell (2014 to present)
- Contributor to Millington & Sutherland Williams on the Proceeds of Crime (Fourth Edition), OUP (2013)
- Co-author on A Supplementary Code for Crown Prosecutors, a draft code to be used when the MMO or MCA are contemplating bringing a prosecution against a seafarer, Seafarer’s Rights International (2012)
- Co-author on Generic Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning prosecutions and investigations bought on behalf of government agencies around the globe, Seafarers’ Rights International (2012)
- Co-author on Advice & Guidance Manual for Seafarers, concerning investigations and prosecutions bought by the police and the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, together with investigations by the Marine Accident Investigation Branch, Seafarers’ Rights International (2012)
Oliver’s financial services practice focuses on banking disputes and financial crime. This predominantly includes: regulatory enforcement action taken by the FCA and Lloyd’s; internal investigations conducted by banks and financial institutions; and prosecutions brought by the FCA and SFO. Many of his cases have an international element, and usually involve allegations of dishonesty or breach of trust. As well as conducting contentious work, which sees him appear in the Commercial Court, Crown Court and regulatory tribunals, Oliver maintains a busy advisory practice, providing opinions on FCA and PRA regulatory issues; AML and economic sanctions.
Lloyd’s of London v Individual X (ongoing)
Acting for a broker in respect of an administrative sanction.
Lloyd’s of London v Individual Y (ongoing)
Acting for a former private client director in relation to an extant Lloyd’s investigation.
FCA v Individual A (Operation Raunds) (ongoing)
Retained to advise a broker in relation to an extant FCA investigation.
FCA v Individual B (ongoing)
Retained to advise a very well-known fund manager in relation to an extant FCA investigation.
London Capital & Finance Plc
Advised an individual in relation to a linked SFO & FCA investigation.
Eurobank Ergasias SA v KMT
Acting for the bank in a €4,000,000 claim in the Commercial Court.
HSBC Private Bank (UK) Ltd v JPB and MMD
Acting for property developer in a £1.5 million claim in the Chancery Division.
DAS UK Holdings Ltd v Paul Asplin (& Others)
Advising and representing Barclays Bank Plc at an Application Hearing in relation to a witness summons seeking confidential information concerning bank customers.
Lloyd’s of London v CL & DL
Acting for two underwriters in relation to enforcement proceedings.
Company X & Y v Barclays
Advised two linked companies in relation to an action against Barclays Bank Plc.
FCA v JD
Advising a trader in respect of potential enforcement action.
FCA v SK
Advising a high-net-worth individual in respect of a potential action by the FCA, including accompanying him at a compelled interview.
FCA v JC
Advising a trader in respect of enforcement action taken by the FCA.
Appointments & Memberships
- Vice-Chairman of British Marine Insurance, Financial and Legal Services (2016 to 2020)
- Accredited as a Pupil Supervisor (2013 to present)
- Accredited as a Mentor with the Social Mobility Foundation (2010 to present)
- Admiralty Bar Group
- Association of Certified Sanctions Specialists
- Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Fraud Advisory Panel
- Health & Safety Lawyers’ Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association
- Revenue Bar Association
- The Fraud Lawyers Association
- Western Circuit
- Junior counsel in GLS Prosecution Team of the Year (2015)
Oliver Powell is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Insolvency & Restructuring
- Business Crime
- Commercial & Chancery
- Financial Services
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Marine & Fisheries
“A fluent and persuasive barrister who has all the facts at his fingertips.” POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2021
“He’s a meticulous, hard-working practitioner who provides sound, commercial advice.” POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2021
“He has a very analytical eye, and communicates well with clients. Very hard-working and diligent”. Business and Regulatory Crime (including global investigations), Legal 500, 2021
“He is knowledgeable, helpful, quick and thorough and he is very deft in handling client expectations”. Environment, Legal 500, 2021
“He is extremely personable and charming, and consistently wins the trust and confidence of clients at the outset”. Health & Safety (Band 1), Legal 500, 2021
“Very diligent, enthusiastic and personable. Instils you with confidence that they know the law and relevant material well and have sensible comments on how it can be applied in practice”. Proceeds of Crime (POCA) and Asset Forfeiture, Legal 500, 2021
“A diligent and hard-working barrister who provides commercially astute and clear advice, giving due consideration to the overall situation, not just the legal position”. POCA: Work and Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2020
“He is proactive, supportive and someone who goes out of his way to help”. POCA: Work and Asset Forfeiture, Chambers & Partners 2020
“Very responsive and measured, and prepares well for cases”. Business and Regulatory Crime, including Global Investigations, Legal 500 2020
“He combines a methodical approach with an excellent work ethic”. Health & Safety, Legal 500 2020
“An extremely confident and charming advocate”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“Oliver is very meticulous and inspires confidence as he obviously has such good knowledge”. Chambers & Partners 2019
“A very effective advocate in the criminal courts”. Legal 500 2019
“He is superb to work with. He works night and day for his clients, and always gets great results”. Chambers & Partners 2018
“He’s brilliant with clients, very bright, really quick to grasp things and has really good communication skills.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“The quality of work that he does is exceptional and he punches above his weight – he’ll often be against silks and leading juniors even though he’s less senior because he’s such an expert in this area of the law. What it comes down to is that he just works harder than anyone else – he’s completely committed to his client’s cause.” Chambers & Partners 2017
“Instructed by the CPS and top firms in complex POCA matters.” Legal 500 2016
“Has a very commanding courtroom presence but is pleasant with it.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Thorough and commercially astute”, he “studies briefs thoroughly and can handle complex instructions at very short notice.” Chambers & Partners 2016
“Very highly regarded junior who punches above his weight by a mile”. Chambers & Partners 2016
“He prepares his cases consummately.” Legal 500 2015
“Very intelligent, approachable, commercial and phenomenal on his feet”. Chambers & Partners 2015
“He’s extremely ambitious and also the real deal: he’s got what it takes to really succeed.” Chambers & Partners 2015