Year of Call:
Paul is a civil practitioner specialising in Employment & Discrimination/Harassment, Public Inquiries and Child Abuse.
His work includes both written and oral advocacy in the Employment Appeal Tribunal, Employment Tribunal, County Courts, and in Public Inquiry hearings.
He also accepts instructions in Chambers’ core areas and has undertaken a wide variety of other work, including advising, drafting and acting in personal injury and clinical negligence claims, and has also appeared in bankruptcy proceedings, bail hearings for immigration detainees, and in a claim for unjust enrichment.
Paul was appointed to the C Panel of the Attorney General’s Counsel to the Crown in 2020 and undertakes public law work in his areas of specialism.
Paul studied law at the University of Cambridge, where he received a Senior Honorary Exhibition. He continues to play football regularly and follows his beloved Celtic from afar.
Paul has been continuously instructed in public inquiries since the very beginning of his tenancy and therefore has significant experience.
He is currently instructed as Junior Counsel to the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse, the largest Public Inquiry ever in the UK. He has been instructed as Junior Counsel to the Inquiry on three different strands:
- The Child Migration case study – looking at the responsibility of UK institutions for the sexual abuse of children who were part of the child migration programmes, in which children were moved from the UK to Australia and Canada. Public hearings, at which Paul was involved in oral advocacy, were held in 2017 and the Inquiry published its report in March 2018.
- Children in the care of Nottinghamshire Councils – looking at the sexual abuse of children in the care of Nottinghamshire County and Nottingham City Councils over the previous four decades. The investigation focused particularly on the institutional responses to sexual abuse of children at Beechwood children’s home, in foster care, and harmful sexual behaviour. Three weeks of public hearings were held in October 2018, at which Paul was responsible for the oral questioning of several witnesses. The Inquiry published its report in July 2019.
- Child sexual exploitation by organised networks – looking at the sexual exploitation of children across six different areas in England and Wales. The investigation is due to hold public hearings in Spring 2020.
He was also instructed for three years as Junior Counsel to the Independent Jersey Care Inquiry, which investigated the abuse of children in Jersey’s care system over many years.
Paul’s role in these public inquiries has involved inquisitorial advocacy, oral submissions, drafting, strategy, providing advice and analysing millions of pages of documentary evidence.
Appointments & Memberships
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Industrial Law Society
- Employment Law Bar Association
Paul Livingston is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Clinical Negligence
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
- Employment & Discrimination
- Personal Injury
- Child & Adult Abuse
- International Injury & Travel
- Professional Negligence
- Public Law