Robert Rhodes QC
Year of Call:
Robert Rhodes QC specialises in business crime (e.g. civil and criminal fraud, tax investigations, bribery and money laundering), international mediation and international arbitration (both as counsel and mediator / arbitrator), financial services, regulatory and disciplinary law. He is also registered for direct access with the public. Robert is a panel member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Pandemic Business Dispute Resolution Service.
Robert is noted for his utter dedication to his clients. He has a commercial approach to his clients’ problems, and always gives clear, practical advice.
He is Adjunct Professor of the Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation.
Through Benchmark Chambers International and Benchmark International Mediation Centre, the Base of the Supreme People’s Court of The People’s Republic of China (SPC) Robert is a member of the SPC’s pool of experts for discerning foreign law.
Robert is a Mediator at the international Court of Arbitration for Sport, Switzerland. He is a member of the Arbitration and Mediation Panels of the Court of Arbitration for Art, Rotterdam. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators’ panel of arbitrators for its Business Arbitration Scheme. Robert is a member of Arbitration and Mediation Panels of the LCIA-DIFC. He also sits on a number of Far Eastern panels of arbitrators / mediators, including the Arbitration Panel of the Beijing Arbitration Commission.
He has been appointed a Senior International Mediation Expert at the Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Mediation Center, Hong Kong. He is an Invited Expert on the Professional Committee on Investment Arbitration of the China Academy of Arbitration Law. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a member of the London Court of International Arbitration and of the International Chamber of Commerce, a former member of the Corporate Panel of the Dispute Board Federation, and has been recommended as a Leading Silk in Fraud, Banking and Finance by the Legal 500. He has spoken in various continents on international mediation, international arbitration, fraud, bribery, and money laundering. He has published extensively on those subjects, and has been interviewed by the media. He has revalidated BPP University’s International Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Law modules for its LLM.
Robert is a Goodwill Ambassador for the UK-Cyprus Enterprise Council, and a member of the Advisory Council to the UK Sichuan Business Association.
He is a Master of the Bench of the Inner Temple, and a Member of the Bar Council of England & Wales.
Selection of Cases
X v A, B, C (Queen’s Bench)
Search and seizure case relating to a substantial art dispute.
Shah v Shah (Companies Court)
Company law dispute between brothers who were shareholders and directors of a plc.
BSAL v CHILUKIRI (Commercial Court)
Alleged advance fee fraud.
R (Lee) v General Commissioners of Income Tax & HMRC (Administrative Court)
Successful application for judicial review in respect of Commissioners’ adverse decision to a taxpayer.
Connelly v Law Society (Administrative Court)
Significant case on various areas of law relating to solicitors’ practice, including conflicts of interest, obtaining written instructions from a client and solicitor’s lien.
Accountancy Investigation & Discipline Board v PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP & Another
250 page judgment of tribunal (chaired by Robert Rhodes QC), relating to disciplinary proceedings arising from the collapse of Mayflower Plc. See www.frc.org.uk.
Robert Rhodes QC has written articles and publications on a wide range of legal matters. He has also contributed to training videos, and radio and television programmes. Examples include:
- “Cryptoassets — obtaining freezing and proprietary injunctions in relation to civil fraud” US-China Law Review, vol 17 no.2, 2020 p.39
- Investment Rights under Bilateral Investment Treaties “Arbitration” vol 85 no. 4 p.400 November 2019.
- “Have the Risks of ADR Escalation Clauses Reduced?”, Arbitration vol 82 no.1 p.16
- Co-authored first chapter of Lissack & Horlick on Bribery, published May 2011 and 2nd edition November 2014
- “Banks’ liability for fraud on creditors“, Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law March 2014 p.175
- “Mediation-Arbitration (Med-Arb)”, Arbitration April 2013
- “In the Hot Seat: avoiding the risk of judicial review when chairing a disciplinary tribunal” NLJ 2011 pp.505-506
- December 2010 contributed to the New Law Journal supplement on the Bribery Act 2010
- “Trial by Jury under Attack” Counsel Magazine April 2008
- 2008 contributed chapter “What is the Criminal Law For?” to Smith Institute’s Book “Advancing Opportunity: routes in and out of criminal justice“
- 2006 contributed chapter “The Importance of Jury Trials” to Smith Institute’s Book “Social Justice: Criminal Justice“
- Joint Author of Archbold Practical Research Papers: “Transfer and Applications to Dismiss Transferred Charges” and “Preparatory Hearings in Serious Fraud Cases“
- Member of the Editorial Advisory Board of the Journal of Money Laundering Control, and of the Journal of Financial Crime (and previously of the former European Financial Services Law Journal)
- Contributor to Law Channel’s Money Laundering Training Video for Solicitors, 2004
- “A Guide to Money Laundering Legislation” (2004) The Journal of Money Laundering Control vol. 8 no. 1 p.9
- “Value Billing” Taxation Practitioner, April 1999
- Contributor to 1999 Report on Parallel Proceedings by the Society for Advanced Legal Studies
- “The Whole Truth” Accountancy Age 30th April 1998
- “Criminalising Artificial Tax Avoidance” (1998) NLJ 118
- “Juries in Fraud Trials” (1998) NLJ 239
- “Analysis: R v Charlton and others” (1996) Journal of Money Laundering Control 197
- “The Fruits of the Crime” (1995) NLJ 822
- “The Impact of Money Laundering in the Pacific Rim on the United Kingdom” The Criminal Lawyer, November 1994
- “SFO: Abuse of Process?” (1992) Sol. Jo. 241
- “The Inland Revenue and the Criminal Law” (1989) Journal of Criminal Law 477
To listen free to Robert’s podcast on enforcement of confiscation orders, please click on Enforcement of Confiscation Orders and use the access code rhodes 2011. To listen free to Robert’s podcast on juries, please visit http://www.cpdcast.com/redeem/rhodes2011 and follow the registration instructions. Podcast voucher code is: rhodes2010.
Appointments & Memberships
- Bencher of the Inner Temple
- Standing Counsel to Inland Revenue (1979 – 1989)
- Crown Court Recorder (1987 – 2018)
- Deputy Chairman IMRO Membership Appeals Tribunal (1992 – 2001)
- Member Appeal Tribunal ICAEW (1998-2004)
- Chair of Disciplinary Tribunals for AIDB / AADB (2004 to 2012)
- Chair of Disciplinary Tribunals for the FRC (Financial Reporting Council) (2012 – 2014)
- Member of the Bar Council
- FCIArb (Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators)
- CBA (Criminal Bar Association)
- CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution)
- CMC (Civil Mediation Council)
- COMBAR (Commercial Bar Association)
- LCIA (London Court of International Arbitration)
- LMAA (London Maritime Arbitrators Association)
- The Advisory Council of the UK Sichuan Business Association
- Adjunct Professor of the Academy of International Dispute Resolution & Professional Negotiation.
- Robert is a member of the Supreme People’s Court of The People’s Republic of China’s pool of experts for discerning foreign law.
Arbitration and Mediation Panels
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators – panel member for its Business Arbitration Scheme
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Pandemic Business Dispute Resolution Service – panel member
- Mediator at the international Court of Arbitration for Sport
- Arbitrator and Mediator at the Court of Arbitration for Art, Rotterdam
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators of the Arbitration & Mediation Court of the Caribbean
The International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution: Panel of Distinguished Neutrals
- Member of the Beijing Arbitration Commission’s Panel of Arbitrators
- Lang Fang Arbitration Commission (arbitrator and mediator)
- Invited Expert on the Professional Committee on Investment Arbitration of the China Academy of Arbitration Law
- Senior International Mediation Expert at the Mainland-Hong Kong Joint Mediation Center, Hong Kong
- Senior International Mediation Expert of International Dispute Resolution & Risk Management Institute
- Member of the panel of Mediators of the Macao Mediation Centre
- Chinese Arbitration Commission, Taipei (arbitrator and mediator
- Thailand Arbitration Institute (arbitrator)
- Member of the mediator panel of Japan International Mediation Center in Kyoto (“JIMC-Kyoto”)
- Member of the Panel of Arbitrators (Brunei)
- Former member of Jinan Arbitration Commission (arbitrator and mediator)
- China Council for the Promotion of International Trade (mediator) (2013-16)
Robert Rhodes QC is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Crime
- Commercial & Chancery
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
- Financial Services
- Health, Safety & Environment
“It was as enlightening as ever to work with you. You brought a wisdom and perspective to the proceedings that was invaluable.” Head of international arbitration at a major law firm, 2019
“He has great experience in prosecuting and defending fraud cases” Legal 500, 2014
“…I count myself both privileged and lucky to have had you representing me.” A client, acquitted with costs after a long fraud trial
“Robert had a really good grasp of the issues and was very effective at bringing the parties to a settlement.” A partner in a firm of solicitors where Robert successfully mediated a seven figure settlement in a complex professional negligence case
“I must thank you once again, not only for your help and support, but for the gracious manner in which you gave it. It gave me a lot of confidence, and I know that I would not have been successful without you.” A successful direct access client