Year of Call:
Sophie O’Sullivan specialises in business crime and professional regulation. Her practice encompasses: business crime; commercial fraud; asset forfeiture; financial regulation and compliance; sanctions; professional discipline; and health and safety.
Recent or extant work includes:
- Representing the former director of a wealth management company in £14m confiscation proceedings
- Assisting the FCA in a dual track Tier-1 investigation into systemic failings of a major global bank.
- Advising a global entity on sectoral sanctions regimes applicable to its international commercial dealings
- Representing the director of a major construction company against allegations of corporate bribery and corruption
- Appeared before the Court of Appeal, Criminal Division, in a matter relating to convictions arising from international money laundering offences
- Representing the director of a technology company against allegations of consumer fraud and money laundering
- Representing the manager of a dementia care home against criminal allegations of wilful neglect and ill treatment
- Appeared on behalf of a surgeon facing grave allegations of misconduct, lack of competence and dishonesty relating to his gynaecological practice
She is a member of the Attorney General’s Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown.
Sophie is a contributor to the 3rd edition of Lissack and Horlick on Bribery, the leading work on bribery and corruption offences.
Sophie has extensive advocacy experience having appeared in significant jury trials concerning corporate bribery, large scale MTIC carousel fraud, cross-border VAT evasion, banking, insurance and mortgage fraud.
Sophie has advised on and appeared in appeals before the FTT (Tax Chamber) in cases involving the seizure of goods for alleged non-payment of Excise Duty, breaches of prohibitions and regulations on importation and associated non-restoration appeals. She has also appeared in condemnation proceedings involving the liability of goods to forfeiture under the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979.
Sophie appears regularly before the GMC, SRA, NMC, GPhC and HCPC, often defending individuals against the most serious allegations of professional misconduct and negligent care as well as acting for both prosecuting authorities and defendants in health and safety proceeding.
Health & Safety
Sophie has broad experience in appearing in criminal proceedings concerning health and safety breaches as well as criminal allegations arising from conduct in the workplace.
Sophie acts for companies, company officers and individuals, as well as the prosecuting entities, in regard to allegations of systemic failings in safe practices, serious injury in the workplace and criminal allegations of professional wrongdoing and ill-treatment.
She has considerable expertise and experience in criminal proceedings, appearing often in the crown and appellate courts. When dealing with conduct allegations against professionals which involves criminal behaviour, Sophie appears in the crown court.
R v PP (2020): acting for the manager of a dementia care home against criminal allegations of wilful neglect and ill-treatment of a resident under the provisions of the Mental Capacity Act 2005
R v RC (2020): providing pre-charge advice to a doctor in relation to criminal allegations of assault from a patient in relation to cosmetic procedures.
HDC v AC (2020): acting for Harlow District Council for food safety offences
NELTS v SL (2019): acting for a restaurant chain in proceedings brought by North East Lincolnshire Trading Standards
Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association
Appointments & Memberships
- Attorney General’s Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown
- Serious Fraud Office’s Proceeds of Crime B Panel of Counsel
- Crown Prosecution Service Grade 2 Prosecutor
- Fraud Lawyers’ Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association
- South Eastern Circuit
Sophie O’Sullivan is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
“She is an excellent junior. Reliable, hardworking and focused. She is a very good lawyer and extremely competent to handle any task in case preparation. She has an engaging, charming personality and ability to get on with everyone. Neither her advocacy nor her written work can be faulted. She is an impressive operator in all aspects of criminal law.” Financial: Crime, Legal 500 2021