Year of Call:
Sophie O’Sullivan specialises in business crime and professional regulation. Her practice encompasses: business crime; commercial fraud; asset forfeiture; financial regulation and compliance; sanctions; professional discipline; and health and safety.
Sophie is ranked as a Leading Junior in Legal 500’s Financial Crime Sector. She is a member of the Attorney General’s Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown and the SFO’s International POCA panel.
Recent or extant work includes:
- Instructed by a US-based law firm to represent an Eastern European engineering firm in relation to its sanctions designation under UK legislation and regulation
- Acting for the SFO in enforcement proceedings arising out of a £30m confiscation order
- Acting for the NCA in relation to a frozen funds investigation arising out of a suspected $8 million fraud committed against an African government.
- Representing the former director of a wealth management company in £14m confiscation proceedings
- Assisting the FCA in a dual track Tier-1 investigation into systemic failings of a major global bank.
- Advising a global entity on sectoral sanctions regimes applicable to its international commercial dealings
- Representing the director of a major construction company against allegations of corporate bribery and corruption
- Appeared before the Court of Appeal, Criminal Division, in a matter relating to convictions arising from international money laundering offences
- Representing the director of a technology company against allegations of consumer fraud and money laundering
- Representing the manager of a dementia care home against criminal allegations of wilful neglect and ill treatment
- Appeared on behalf of a surgeon facing grave allegations of misconduct, lack of competence and dishonesty relating to his gynaecological practice
Sophie is a contributor to the 3rd edition of Lissack and Horlick on Bribery, the leading work on bribery and corruption offences.
Sophie has extensive advocacy experience having appeared in significant jury trials concerning corporate bribery, large scale MTIC carousel fraud, cross-border VAT evasion, banking, insurance and mortgage fraud.
Sophie has advised on and appeared in appeals before the FTT (Tax Chamber) in cases involving the seizure of goods for alleged non-payment of Excise Duty, breaches of prohibitions and regulations on importation and associated non-restoration appeals. She has also appeared in condemnation proceedings involving the liability of goods to forfeiture under the Customs and Excise Management Act 1979.
Sophie appears regularly before the GMC, SRA, NMC, GPhC and HCPC, often defending individuals against the most serious allegations of professional misconduct and negligent care as well as acting for both prosecuting authorities and defendants in health and safety proceeding.
Appointments & Memberships
- Attorney General’s Panel of Junior Counsel to the Crown
- Serious Fraud Office’s Proceeds of Crime B Panel of Counsel
- Crown Prosecution Service Grade 2 Prosecutor
- Fraud Lawyers’ Association
- Proceeds of Crime Lawyers’ Association
- Health and Safety Lawyers’ Association
- South Eastern Circuit
Sophie O’Sullivan is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Sports Law
- International Organisations
- Business Crime
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
“She is an excellent junior. Reliable, hardworking and focused. She is a very good lawyer and extremely competent to handle any task in case preparation. She has an engaging, charming personality and ability to get on with everyone. Neither her advocacy nor her written work can be faulted. She is an impressive operator in all aspects of criminal law.” Financial: Crime, Legal 500 2021