Year of Call:
Stephen practises in commercial and civil law with particular focus on employment and international disputes.
He advises and represents clients in disputes in the Court of Appeal and Employment Appeal Tribunal, and in the High Court, County Court, and Employment Tribunal.
He acts for and against individuals, FTSE 100 companies, major financial institutions and NHS trusts, as well as advising government bodies including The Pensions Ombudsman and international financial regulators.
Stephen has significant experience of working with international clients, both in the UK and abroad. He has worked on litigation and arbitrations before the United Nations Appeal Tribunal, the International Chamber of Commerce, the Dubai International Arbitration Centre, and the Dubai International Financial Centre Courts.
Stephen is currently instructed in a large group equal pay claim against a major supermarket, and by a foreign company in a consolidated claim against several hundred defendants concerning alleged unlawful Collective Investments Schemes, economic conspiracy and misrepresentations.
Stephen is co-author of the Law Society’s Employment Law Handbook, is a contributor to the Pensions chapter of Atkins’ Court Forms, and regularly provides training on advocacy and legal issues.
Before joining Chambers, Stephen worked at an English law firm. He has won several advocacy competitions, including whilst representing Lincoln’s Inn in the Supreme Court.
Appointments & Memberships
- The Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Free Representation Unit (FRU)
- Bar Pro Bono Unit (BPBU)
- Bar Professional Training Course, ‘Outstanding’
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Glanville Williams Prize for Law, Jesus College, Cambridge
- Ng Prize, Jesus College, Cambridge
- Hogan Lovells Prize, Jesus College, Cambridge
- French (intermediate)
- Spanish (basic)
Stephen Butler is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- International Organisations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Clinical Negligence
- Commercial & Chancery
- Employment & Discrimination
- Financial Services
- Health, Safety & Environment
- Personal Injury
“A real talent for the future and one to watch. Calm, forensic and highly persuasive.” Legal 500 2021
“first-class… whatever the outcome of this appeal, the Appellant could not have been better represented” Agoreyo v London Borough of Lambeth  EWHC 2019 (QB)
“had a commanding grip of the detail of the case which he presented with great determination but also courtesy” MRL v B (March 2019) E6QZ554H