Year of Call:
Stephen has a broad civil practice with emphases on commercial, employment and international disputes. He accepts instructions in all areas of Chambers’ work and has particular experience of group litigation.
Stephen represents a wide variety of clients from individuals to government bodies and regulators. As well as regularly appearing in County Courts and Tribunals across the country, Stephen has acted in proceedings in the Court of Appeal, High Court and Employment Appeal Tribunal.
In 2017, Stephen was seconded to a leading law firm in Dubai to provide advice and pleadings in claims arising from incomplete large-scale construction, infrastructure and development projects in the Middle East.
Stephen is one of the three co-authors of the Employment Law Handbook, published by the Law Society of England and Wales.
Stephen studied law at Jesus College, Cambridge. He has won several advocacy competitions, including whilst representing Lincoln’s Inn in the Supreme Court. Prior to joining Chambers, Stephen worked at an English law firm where he worked on a variety of cases, from group financial litigation to personal injury arising out of mental injuries sustained during detention in a foreign jail.
In a recent appeal judgment in which Stephen acted for the successful appellant, the High Court Judge observed that Stephen had produced “first-class” written arguments which were “matched also by the quality of his oral submissions. Whatever the outcome of this appeal, the Appellant could not have been better represented”.
Appointments & Memberships
- The Commercial Bar Association (COMBAR)
- Young International Arbitration Group (YIAG)
- Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Personal Injuries Bar Association (PIBA)
- Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers (PEOPIL)
- Health and Safety Lawyers Association (HSLA)
- Free Representation Unit (FRU)
- Bar Pro Bono Unit (BPBU)
- Bar Professional Training Course, ‘Outstanding’
- Walter Wigglesworth Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Buchanan Prize, Lincoln’s Inn
- Lord Denning Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Hardwicke Scholar, Lincoln’s Inn
- Glanville Williams Prize for Law, Jesus College, Cambridge
- Ng Prize, Jesus College, Cambridge
- Hogan Lovells Prize, Jesus College, Cambridge
- French (intermediate)
- Spanish (basic)
Stephen Butler is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.