Private Client Webinar: Will Making, LPAs, Remote Hearings and Mediation During Lockdown
Members of Outer Temple’s Private Client Team explore how remote working has affected the area of law and the way in which they practice.
David Grant, Patrick Tomison, Claire van Overdijk, Alex Cisneros, Elaine Palser and Elizabeth Grace present in this Private Client Webinar.
David Grant and Patrick Tomison discuss Will Formalities.
- Why the question of formalities is relevant now.
- What the requirements of the Wills Act 1837 are, specifically s9
- The Law Commission Report, Making a Will (Consultation Paper 231, 13/07/2017) in particular, Chapter 1
- The effect of the English Authorities
- How one approaches the correction of statute – “always speaking”
- Judicial attitudes
- Practically, what can we do to mitigate the risk of formal invalidity
- Thoughts to the future
Claire van Overdijk and Alex Cisneros discuss the remote executions of both standard and business LPAs. They also discuss statutory wills during COVID-19.
- The issues that arise regarding the execution of LPAs during social distancing restrictions, such as the certificate provider and witnessing in England and Wales
- The OPG guidance given on making a will
- How the Scottish approach differs with its six-stage execution procedure
Elaine Palser and Elizabeth Grace discuss remote hearings and mediation, including:
- Process of remotely conducted mediation
- The advantages of remotely conducted mediation
- The challenges of remotely conducted mediation
- Top tips for conducting remote mediation
- The future of mediation
- Remote hearing protocol
- The challenges faced by remote hearings, including bundles and preparing your client
About the Speakers
David Grant practises primarily in commercial law, particularly pensions, financial services, civil fraud and fiduciary duty, banking, insolvency, chancery and employment.
Patrick Tomison accepts instructions across all areas of work undertaken in chambers. Patrick joined Outer Temple in September 2019 upon successful completion of his pupillage.
Claire van Overdijk is a specialist private client and public law barrister. She is described as a “very versatile, experienced and persuasive advocate” and was shortlisted as “Advocate of the Year” at the 2019/2020 STEP Private Client Awards.
Alex Cisneros is a specialist public law and private client barrister. He has experience handling significant contentious and non-contentious matters with a particular emphasis on mental capacity and education.
Elaine Palser has an extensive chancery and commercial practice, with an emphasis on contentious probate, trusts, insolvency, and related professional negligence.
Elizabeth Grace has a keen interest in private client law. She has advised on a number of areas, including inheritance tax and potentially exempt transfers, and removal of executors. Elizabeth also has experience of aspects of personal insolvency, including setting aside statutory demands.
Find out More
To find out more about our Private Client Team, contact Matt Sale (+44 (0)20 7427 4910) or Peter Foad (+44 (0)20 7427 0807) or call us on +44 (0)20 7353 6381 for a confidential discussion.
Private Client Webinars, Webinars & Vlogs 9 Jul, 2020