Year of Call:
Clare is an experienced junior specialising in financial services, banking, commercial and insurance law.
Clare has particular expertise in advising in relation to financial services regulatory issues and individual authorisations. Clare also acts in a wide range of financial services disputes. She has been instructed by both the Financial Services Authority (enforcement) and Financial Conduct Authority (GCD).
Clare advises on general commercial issues, including confidentiality and data protection, public procurement (including the operation of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015), compliance with various regulatory frameworks, and jurisdictional/cross-border issues. She also regularly advises on insurance law.
Prior to transferring to the Bar in 2007, Clare was a solicitor in Simmons & Simmons’ Finance and Insurance Litigation department and a hedge funds, prime brokerage and structured products lawyer at UBS Investment Bank. As a result she has an understanding of financial markets that is unusual at the Bar.
Clare has considerable experience of drafting pleadings, opinions and skeleton arguments and has appeared, both as an advocate and junior, in interlocutory matters and final hearings in the Privy Council, the High Court, county courts, the Employment Appeal Tribunal and employment tribunals.
Clare was educated at Pembroke College, Cambridge University (2:1 Law) and the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Distinction).
Commercial & Insurance
Clare advises on general commercial issues, including confidentiality and data protection, public procurement (including the operation of the Public Contracts Regulations 2015), compliance with various regulatory frameworks, and jurisdictional/cross-border issues. Clare worked as part of the insurance litigation team at Simmons & Simmons and regularly advises on insurance issues.
Examples of Clare’s commercial and insurance work include:
- Client confidential  – advised claimant regarding proposed claims under a Framework Agreement and related call off contracts
- Client confidential  – advised defendant in relation to claims made for goods lost in transit and, in particular, regarding the effect of refusal of insurance by the claimant
- Client confidential  – advised claimant on a settlement offer in relation to a claim under a Group Income Protection Policy
- Client confidential  – advised claimant regarding entitlement to policy benefits under a Group Income Protection Policy after termination of employment
- Client confidential  – acted for claimant in relation to professional negligence claim against solicitors for advice to enter into Tomlin Order in circumstances where the underlying loan and charge were unenforceable under s.26 FSMA
- Client confidential  – advised in relation to insurer’s refusal to accept claim for critical illness and total permanent disability benefit under life assurance policy
- Client confidential [2014 – 2018] – advised client on an ongoing basis on issues arising from provision of a legal service. Detailed ongoing advice in relation to public procurement and regulatory issues
- Texan Management Limited & Others v Pacific Electric Wire & Cable Company Limited – acted with Richard Lissack QC in a claim before the Privy Council regarding jurisdiction
Clare has co-authored Butterworths Financial Regulations Services; Lissack and Horlick on Bribery; Atkins Pensions Vol 31(1) and is a member of the Chancery Bar Association, Commercial Law Bar Association and the Financial Services Lawyers Association.
Appointments & Memberships
- Financial Services Lawyers Association
- Chancery Bar Association
- Commercial Law Bar Association
Clare Baker is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.