Year of Call:
Helen is an established commercial and insolvency junior with experience of a broad range of matters including professional negligence, company and shareholder disputes, civil fraud, and arbitration.
Helen’s practice has a significant cross-border element and she frequently works with multi-jurisdictional teams. She provides an approachable and commercial service to clients.
Helen is ranked as a leading junior in Professional Negligence and Insolvency by Legal 500 UK. Directory comments include:
- “She oozes quality, is meticulous and always engaging. She is very pragmatic and always delivers on her promises.” (Insolvency, Legal 500 2021)
- “Accessible, approachable, good written work, she is extremely able and highly regarded.”(Professional Negligence, Legal 500 2021)
Helen accepts direct access instructions.
Helen has published various articles. Recent articles include:
- Knowing receipt and the proprietary base (JIBFL 2021)
- Reflective Loss and the Applicable Law Conundrum, Journal of Banking and Finance Law (JIBFL 2020)
- Breathing Space: The Impact of a More Consensual Approach, Journal of Corporate Rescue and Insolvency (CRI 2020)
- ‘A New Tool for Minority Shareholders?’, an article on the decision in In re Core VCT plc (in liquidation) in the Journal of Corporate Rescue and Insolvency (CRI 2019)
- Unexplained Wealth Orders – Whose cash is it anyway?,the New Law Journal (NLJ 2019)
- Russian Litigation in London: a two-part series of articles the New Law Journal (NLJ 2019)
- Restoring a company to members’ voluntary liquidation with the appointment of new liquidators, Journal of Corporate Rescue and Insolvency (CRI 2019)
- A Collective Sigh of Relief: Global Corporate Ltd v Hale on Appeal, Journal of Corporate Rescue and Insolvency (CRI 2019)
- No ifs, no buts Cost pressures & solicitors’ negligence are no excuse for cutting corners, the New Law Journal (NLJ 2015)
Appointments & Memberships
- COMBAR (Commercial Bar Association)
- PNBA (Professional Negligence Bar Association)
- LCLCBA (London Common Law & Commercial Bar Association)
- CFLA (Commercial Fraud Lawyers Association)
- Inner Temple Bar Liaison Committee with particular responsibility for trusts.
Read Helen’s privacy notice here.
Helen Pugh is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
“She oozes quality, is meticulous and always engaging. She is very pragmatic and always delivers on her promises.”
Insolvency, Legal 500 2021
“Accessible, approachable, good written work, she is extremely able and highly regarded.”
Professional Negligence, Legal 500 2021
“She is extremely able and highly regarded… She is very bright and able.”
Legal 500 2020
“She has excellent attention to detail and offers very good tactical advice… Her written advice is always well argued and thought out, and she is a persuasive advocate. She is pleasant and knowledgeable in both travel litigation and commercial issues.”
Chambers and Partners 2019