Year of Call:
Alex Line specialises in the areas of education, employment and discrimination, court of protection, and public law. He has a busy advisory and advocacy practice, regularly appearing in the Employment Tribunal, County Court and the First-Tier Tribunal. He has High Court, Employment Appeal Tribunal, Upper Tribunal, and Court of Appeal experience. He has been appointed to the Attorney General’s panel of counsel to the Crown (C Panel) and the Equality and Human Rights Commission’s panel of counsel (B Panel).
Court of Protection
Alex has a busy and developing Court of Protection practice acting in cases concerning health and welfare and property and affairs. He receives a wide range of instructions through the Official Solicitor, local authorities, family members, health bodies, and the Public Guardian. He is regularly instructed to appear at interim and complex multi-day hearings. He has experience of cases involving decisions relating to care, residence and contact; appointment and removal of deputies; medical treatment decisions; deprivation of liberty challenges; and human rights.
Recent examples of Alex’s work include:
- Representing the Public Guardian in proceedings against a deputy involving serious allegations of financial and physical abuse.
- Representing an NHS Trust in proceedings concerning the appropriate care and intervention required for an individual who had been discharged from detention under the Mental Health Act 1983.
- Representing individuals and local authorities in proceedings under section 21A of the Mental Capacity Act 2005.
Appointments & Memberships
- Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel to the Crown (C Panel)
- Equality and Human Rights Commission Panel of Counsel (B Panel)
- Education Lawyers Association
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Bedingfield Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
- Reid Scholarship, Gray’s Inn
Alexander Line is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
- Commercial & Chancery
- Court of Protection
- Disciplinary & Regulatory
- Employment & Discrimination
- Public Law
“He’s very much a go-to for complex cases – very adaptable and really good on his feet.” “He is very sensitive to the client’s needs.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2021
“Very clever with a first-class grasp of the law relating to SEN.” Education, Legal 500 2021
“He is extremely knowledgeable, approachable, bright and effective.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2020
“He’s an incredible researcher and a great listener. You can always be confident in his advice.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2020
“Very clever with a first-class grasp of the law relating to SEN.” Education, Legal 500 2020
“He’s a very solid advocate, a good cross-examiner and always nice to deal with.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2019
“Alex Line is a rising star for education and appeals.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2019
“Alex always provides detailed and thoroughly thought-through advice. He is able to handle difficult clients in all situations and is very good value considering the high level of expertise and the quality of work he brings to his cases.” Education, Chambers and Partners 2018