Year of Call:
Daniel Barnett is a leading employment and commercial barrister. With 25 years’ experience representing business, he has acted for international airlines, FTSE-250 companies, NHS Trusts, many hundreds of SMEs and a Royal Family.
As the co-founder and past COO of the UK’s leading online continuing professional development trainer for lawyers, which was acquired by Thomson Reuters in 2011, Daniel has day-to-day experience of the commercial, regulatory and reputational issues faced daily by businesses throughout the UK.
Daniel is the first port of call for much of the national media when seeking comment on legal issues. Since 2010 he has presented the legal hour on LBC Radio, answering questions from listeners, and he is regularly quoted in the national broadsheets and comments for the major news broadcasters.
Daniel is the author or co-author of ten books, including the Law Society Handbook on Employment Law (currently in its 7th edition). He is a leading speaker on employment law on the national and international seminar circuit.
Daniel is the creator of the Employment Law (UK) mailing list, an email bulletin service sending out updates three times a week to over 28,000 solicitors, barristers, judges and HR professionals. He is past editor of ELA Briefing and past chair of the Employment Lawyers Association publishing committee and electronic services working party.
Employment litigation and advice includes:
- the leading case on whether damages for injury to feelings are available in employment disputes
- representing a senior employee suing the world’s biggest law firm for discrimination, resulting in findings of perjury and document fabrication by that law firm
- dismissals for misuse of social media
- resisting an application for compulsory trade union recognition on behalf of a national supermarket chain in the CAC, High Court and Court of Appeal
- advising a high-profile ‘rogue’ City trader
- litigation between a US conglomerate which purchased a leading payday loan company and its founder
- representing a national pub chain in a major race discrimination claim
- restraining two ex-employees of a small insurance broker from using their client list
- defending a magazine publisher from claims of sex and maternity discrimination
- representing a national leisure company in a heated race discrimination claim
- representing a luxury cruise line in a high-profile dispute over territorial jurisdiction.
His specific areas of interest are post-termination restrictive covenants, age discrimination and retirement issues, industrial law (strikes), employment agencies and permanent health insurance disputes. Clients are assured of “excellent, considered, pragmatic advice to tight timescales” (Keith Mizon, Director of Individual Dispute Resolution, Acas).
Daniel has vast experience of commercial issues, having co-founded and been Chief Operating Officer of the UK’s leading provider of online training for lawyers in 2007 (acquired by Thomson Reuters in 2011). He is currently a director of two other companies.
His work includes:
- defending the lawfulness of a software company’s terms and conditions
- litigating against a Championship League football club for breach of contract
- advising on allegations of breach of trust against a global insurance company
- a breach of contract claim against a prominent recording artist
- a commercial dispute between two firms of solicitors arising from allegations of database theft
- a property dispute involving pre-contractual misrepresentations
- whether a bespoke software system was fit for its purpose
Daniel has a background in martial arts, having taught and competed nationally in Samurai Jiu Jitsu (as well as regional competitions in Tae Kwon Do).
His sports law cases include:
- a widely reported wrongful dismissal High Court trial, representing the Technical Director of Leeds United against the club
- representing the first female cage fighting champion in her sex discrimination claim against UFC
- representing David and Victoria Beckham’s nanny, who was dismissed for passing confidential information to the Sunday newspapers
- running an employment tribunal claim against a large betting chain for failing to comply with discrimination law
- advising on TUPE transfers of staff between golf clubs
Appointments & Memberships
- Bailii Advisory Council
- Employment Lawyers’ Association
- Employment Law Bar Association
- Industrial Law Society
- Scholar of Lincoln’s Inn
Daniel Barnett is regulated by the Bar Standards Board (BSB) and holds a current practising certificate. If you are not satisfied with the service provided, please click here.
Areas of Law
“He is very knowledgeable and is an effective advocate.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2020
“His oral advocacy is highly impressive and his written advocacy is powerful and persuasive.” Employment, Legal 500 2020
“Helpful, attentive and crystal clear in the advice he gives.” “Meticulous in his preparation.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2019
“He is meticulous in his preparation and ruthless with his cross-examination.” Employment, Legal 500 2019
“Innovative, charming, knowledgeable and great with clients.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2018
“He most certainly knows his stuff. He’s straightforward, robust and a very effective communicator. He knows the law and how to apply it practically.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2018
“He is extremely responsive and works well with clients.” Employment, Legal 500 2017
“He has a fast turnaround, is efficient and to the point.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2017
“His advocacy is good, he is a good cross-examiner and he can really pursue a point.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2017
“A talented advocate, who is always very responsive and proactive.” Employment, Legal 500 2016
“Quick to respond, he’s an excellent advocate who works very well with clients.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2016
“Robust and will always put up a good fight.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2016
“Absolutely outstanding. He’s extremely responsive, and really keeps on top of client management.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2015
“Very astute in negotiation and in court; clients rightly have confidence in him.” Employment, Legal 500 2015
“He’s very authoritative – his preparation for written submissions is extremely thorough and he covers every single aspect of the case.” “Daniel is the sort of person to go to when you’re trying to merge employment and regulatory matters.” Employment, Chambers & Partners 2014
“Excellent client skills.” Employment, Legal 500 2014
“An outstanding service.” Employment, Legal 500 2013
“Very energetic and purposeful.” Employment, Legal 500 2012
“Daniel Barnett has saved my company time, money and aggravation by keeping us out the tribunal. He’s our first-choice whenever we need a barrister.” Touker Suleyman, Dragon’s Den
“No sitting on the fence: Daniel speaks his mind and gives clear answers.” Iain Dale, Biteback Publishing & LBC Drivetime Presenter