Year of Call:
Patrick Tomison accepts instructions across all areas of work undertaken in chambers, including employment, commercial and chancery, pensions, clinical negligence and personal injury and public law. Patrick joined Outer Temple in September 2019 upon successful completion of his pupillage.
Prior to pupillage, Patrick worked in the Court of Appeal as the judicial assistant to Sir Ernest Ryder, the Senior President of Tribunals. He assisted the Senior President with appeals in a wide range of fields, including employment, clinical negligence, public law, commercial and immigration.
He holds a first class degree in Law with German Law from Oxford University (University College).
Patrick has been praised for his “calm, professional” manner and lay client has described him as “very reassuring” and “brilliant”.
Commercial & Chancery
Patrick is developing a broad commercial practice and has appeared in court in a variety of contractual claims. Patrick’s advisory and drafting work has covered breach of contract, insolvency and restitution claims. He was supervised by David E Grant during pupillage, with whom he was exposed to a broad range of commercial and chancery matters.
Examples of recent instructions include:
- A contentious probate dispute (led by David E Grant) which involved issues of undue influence, testamentary capacity and fraudulent calumny (which settled before trial).
- Advice on liability and drafting of pleadings in a breach of contract claim against the former director of a company which had been dissolved
- Advisory work on breach of contract claims involving issues of contractual interpretation
Patrick recently completed a secondment to a leading firm of solicitors in London working with their commercial litigation department. Patrick assisted with two large group actions involving professional negligence and fraud and, in particular, is assisting with the procedural issues arising from the management of large group actions.
Appointments & Memberships
- Industrial Law Society
- The Cynthia Terry award (Gray’s Inn, 2016)
- BPP Excellence Award (2016)
- Alan Urbach Memorial Prize for Jurisprudence (for highest mark in the paper in University College, Oxford) (2014)
- Rowley Prize for Land Law (for highest mark in the paper in University College, Oxford) (2014)
- Exhibition (awarded by University College, Oxford, for academic achievement) (2011-2014)
Areas of Law
- International Injury & Travel
- Employment & Discrimination
- Commercial & Chancery
- Pensions & Trusts
- Personal Injury